Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Day One of 2017 Road Trip

What a hilarious start to the day!

Here is our travelling companion for the trip ...


Wilbur Herbert is back!

Firstly, BGWLBH made a rule.

The rule was that we could have half of the boot of the car each and half of the back seat each and we weren't allowed to encroach on each other's half! Then she said "I know that I will be the first one to break the rule!"

Which she DID!

The first massive bag that she put into the boot, encroached on my half of the boot. So I yelled at her.

She laughed hysterically at me.

THEN she filled MY half of the back seat with ALL of the communal travelling gear, such as the giant cold bag with the food and the wine cooler which was filled with essential oil blends and health supplements! So I yelled at her again.

She laughed hysterically at me.

My luggage included a large suitcase, my small laptop bag (which is the size of carry on luggage and has wheels), my large backpack full of camera gear, a green bag full of 7 pairs of shoes, and finally, a body pillow.

The reason for so much luggage is because the weather down south is freezing. So we are travelling from warm and humid to cold and in some cases, snowing!

Adoring Husband was terribly sad that we were leaving this morning and was feeling stressed and emotional. He hovered around us while I added the final pieces to my packing and then lurked around the car while we packed everything into the boot and the back seat.

BGWLBH and I decided to delay our departure for long enough that he would get frustrated and tell us to HURRY UP AND LEAVE!!

So we got into the car and put our seat belts on and I said loudly "Wait! I've got to get my *insert something unimportant here* out of the back!"

I climbed out of the car, rummaged around in the back seat, then returned to the passenger seat.

Then BGWLBH said "Wait! Where is my *insert something unimportant here*?"

She turned to face the back seat and rummaged around for a minute.

I said "Wait! I've left *insert something unimportant here* in the boot!" I got out of the car and then said "Oh no it's not. It's in my handbag." I returned to the passenger seat.

This continued for about fifteen minutes until Adoring Husband finally, in frustration, said "Will you two just GO *insert actual profanity here*"

By now, we were giggling so hard, I almost had to go to the bathroom before we left!

We took the long way out of town so that I could see the new Bali Flags outside The Happy Abode, which had arrived in today's mail and they are the perfect colour but didn't come with pegs/sticks, so they are sadly attached to a very short stick until we can get something better.

We stopped for coffee and then stopped for fuel.

I began to tell BGWLBH a story just before we reached the service station and when we pulled up at the bowser, she said "Wind the window down so that you can continue telling me the story while I fill up."

I wound the window down and began to talk, but the wind carried my voice in a different direction and she yelled "What???"

So I opened the door of the car so that I could lean out and talk to her.

Just as I started to speak, the petrol pump made that clunking sound that indicated that the tank was full! We only needed $20 worth of fuel!! Ugh!! This tickled BGWLBH's fancy and again, we both burst into fits of hysterical laughter.

She paid for the fuel and when we finally finished laughing at ourselves, I told her my story, which wasn't funny, but our moods by now were so ridiculous, it became funny and we laughed hysterically all the way to Torbanlea!

We drove to Gympie, where we stopped and parked in a carpark on the side of a hill (everything is located on the side of a hill in Gympie) and we had to walk down a very steep inclination to reach one of the main shopping areas.


We needed sustenance, but were distracted by some OP shops which were full of little treasures. It took a while to find some decent food, but we enjoyed it very much and then started the dreadful walk UP the inclination to our car. Exhausting!!

By now, it was already 2pm so we decided to head to the Sunny Coast and find a motel in Maroochydore, so that we could go to the movies and relax for the afternoon.

We found a great little motel with a room containing two queen beds. We unpacked the car, freshened up and then checked our options.

Unfortunately there was nothing that we wanted to see at the movies, so we took the 4 minute walk to the Maroochydore Surf Club where we spent a leisurely couple of hours.


We considered eating at the Club, but our GF options were quite costly and being budget conscious at the beginning of our trip, we didn't want to pay $30 for a meal, so walked the streets until we found a nice little cafe where we paid $9 for a take away GF burger.

Back at the motel, we had some fruit salad in the fridge, which we'd brought with us from home, so we had that.

I received a phone call fromVegan Chickie and we chatted and laughed for an hour.

Now I am feeling quite weary, so it's sleep time for me.

Nite all.

No comments: