Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, September 9, 2019

I’m Exhausted!

On Sunday, I spent the day cleaning and tidying my studio and cleaning some canvases to prepare for varnishing, which is not an easy job!

Firstly I have to coat them in cornflour to soak up any excess silicone oil on the surface (drops of silicone oil goes into the paint to help form cells). After the flour is removed, the canvas is cleaned with a damp cloth, then it’s wiped down with baby wipes and then dried with paper towel.

I cleared all the canvases off the drying table so that I’d have room for the varnished paintings to dry.

My first priority this morning (Monday) was to prepare a big healthy paleo meal for our breakfast ...


Once our bellies were full, varnishing was my priority.

When the varnish was poured, I had to use the kitchen blow torch to burst the MANY bubbles in the varnish before placing the paintings completely level on the drying table.


Unfortunately I used up all the gas that was left in my three blow torches, so when the varnishing was finished, I couldn’t do any more paintings.

Adoring Husband offered to drive into The Bay to get some more Butane, so I made myself presentable and jumped in the car to accompany him!

What an expensive trip THAT was!

I bought more varnish, 4litres of Floetrol, 18 tubes of paint, 11 new canvases, 2 mini tubs, 4 floating frames, a packet of sponge brushes, a can of butane gas, 2 silicone mats, 6 squeeze bottles and NO shoes!

So I’m all set now, but it’s amazing how quickly canvases get used! Or should I say it’s amazing how quickly “I” use up canvases!

When we arrived home, I unpacked all of my goodies and then inspected my varnished canvases.

Guess what I found!?

Ugh!

A fly had landed in the varnish and got stuck. One of those tiny little flies now encased in the only dry varnish on the painting.


&*$%!!!

The safest thing for me to do was leave the room and close the door. Hope against hope that there are no more creepy crawlies hanging about and that there are no loose hairs or dust particles waiting to float down and land on the wet stuff.

Anyway, all the cleaning, tidying, washing, varnishing, bubble popping, shopping, unpacking and fly discovering has worn me out and I need sleep.

Nite all.

No comments: