Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spoilt Rotten - That's ME!

Adoring Husband did two things for me yesterday that have me very excited.

After returning from Sydney, he caught up on some reading, which included the last 5 updates on my blog.  He read the post about me missing BGWLBH and almost immediately booked me a return flight for the July school holidays (BGWLBH is a Catholic School teacher) so that I could visit her!

That post wasn't meant to trigger such a fabulous response, but I'm so glad it did!  I'm very much looking forward to seeing BGWLBH and some of my old friends again, although it will be the middle of Winter and it is bitterly cold down that way at that time of year!

I guess I will have to drag out the old Winter woollies - if I have any left that is.

The second thing that Adoring Husband did was take me on a treasure hunt.  The 'treasure' being a new camera!

As you know, he did lots of research to find just the right camera for me, after I had told him that I would very much like to change from my old Sony (which has been a great camera and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to upgrade from a simple digital to DSLR) to a Canon.

After doing the photography course at USQ McGregor Summer School last year and also after talking to other amateur and professional photographers over the last year or so, it seemed that Canon was the camera of choice at both levels.

The range of cameras available were wide and varied but we knew that it was time to upgrade, not just choose something at the same level that I currently had.

I wanted to feel more confident about taking on job offers like weddings and birthday parties and we knew the grade of camera that would help instil that confidence.  We chose a Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

It is the DREAM camera for photographers at my level.

I'm so excited!  I am almost beside myself!  I have to wait about seven working days for it to be delivered and in the meantime my other one has gone to camera hospital to see if it can be saved.  It had everybody bamboozled as to what the problem might be.  We did all agree, however, that it might be possessed!

Adoring Husband is still researching and almost has more knowledge about this particular camera than the Canon rep who was, co-incidentally, at the store yesterday when we were there to ask questions.

He keeps passing on little snippets of new information and directing me to places online to watch short training videos.  He gets excited about every new piece of information he finds.  So far, all of the information is positive and that's gotta be a good thing!

So now I wait!  Yes, I am spoilt rotten!  But come on ... I deserve it!

***HAPPY DANCE***

1 comment:

eljaih said...

*would like to know if i can have your old camera? if i pay for it??
*grins*