Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Carting Me Around the Golf Course

What a lovely afternoon I've had with Adoring Husband today, playing golf in The Bay!

Neither of us has ever played this course before.  The Club has a deal where you can play after 2pm for $20, so we hired a cart and played eighteen holes together.

The course was very pretty with an abundance of wildlife and bird life.  The recent bad weather has obviously played havoc with some of the fairways and the putting greens played fast compared to the greens that I usually play.  I found quite a few sand bunkers, but I didn't lose any balls (Adoring Husband did!) and I didn't find the water once!

We both played some great shots and we both played some horrendous shots.  Adoring Husband had a mini tantrum and almost broke a club when he smashed it into the ground after one of those horrendous shots!

His punishment for that was the promise that I would tell everyone in my blog post.   ***chuckle***

It was quite busy and we played close on the tail of the team ahead of us and we had golfers close on our tails as well, which probably didn't help our game a lot.

This was the first time that I've ever used a cart to play golf and also the first time that I've played eighteen holes.  I even got to drive the cart a couple of times, which was pretty cool (I have never learned to drive a car).  At the eighteenth hole, I put my foot down on the accelerator and scooted off yelling to Adoring Husband "You can walk from here!"

We even found our way to the nineteenth hole and had a beer at the end of the game and had a little flutter on the pokies.

I've been playing golf for about eighteen months now, and if there is one thing that I've learned, it's this.  Unless his name is Tiger Woods, a man will always try to hit the ball too hard and will always end up in the trees.

This does not just apply to Adoring Husband, but to all men who step foot onto a golf course!  I have become very familiar with that cracking sound that a golf ball makes as it hits the trunk or the branch of any sized tree that lines the fairways.

I have also become familiar with the sight of small groups of men wandering aimlessly through the trees, backwards and forwards as they desperately search for yet another lost ball.

But enough about that.  If I spend too much time bagging the male golf game, Adoring Husband might choose to take somebody other than me next time an afternoon of golf is on offer!!

I would much rather he be carting ME around the golf course!

No comments: