Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ten Things That I Love About Being Fifty

  1. When I see attractive young males at the beach wearing board shorts and nothing else, I can make animal noises, whistle or tell them straight to their faces how 'hot' they are and they always give me a big smile and laugh (as if to say "it's ok for us to give the poor old dear a thrill").  I would never have had the guts to do that when I was younger.
  2. I can play sport with little effort for five days a week and people consider me to be fit and conscientious.
  3. Where I used to fight so hard to find my identity among all of my titles of daughter, wife/partner,  mother and grandmother,  I now take pride in those titles.
  4. I can leave a party and go home to bed at 9pm and nobody questions it.
  5. As long as I don't look in the mirror, I can pretend that I look like Elle MacPherson, and almost believe it!
  6. Men in their seventies and eighties think that I am a hot young thing.
  7. I don't feel self conscious about doing things by myself, like drinking coffee in a cafe or going to a movie.
  8. I can look a man in the face and tell him if I don't like his attitude.
  9. My life has slowed down enough that I notice all the colours and the beauty in nature.
  10. I lie down for a nana nap in the afternoons and nobody thinks anything of it. 

No comments: