Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 9 in a Year of my Life

I love the ocean!  I love rivers.  I love lakes.  I love water.

Tidal waters are my favourite.

Being near water, fills me with energy and hope and motivation.

For 22 yrs, I lived 6 hours from the ocean.  I didn't like it.

Whenever I had holidays that brought me to the coast, I could feel the energy building in me, as I got closer to the water.

It was a physical feeling of happiness and light.

It wasn't just about being on holidays, because we all know that holidays bring you happiness and light!!  It was about being close to the ocean.  I need to be close to water.  Close enough to see it every day.

When I travel inland, I can physically feel the energy slowly seeping out of my body.

I love the smell of the fresh salt sea air as it blows in my hair and over my skin.

I love the contrasting blues of the sky and the deep oceanic waters on a clear sunny day.

I love the soft sound of rippling waves rushing over the sandy beach, as well as the sound of full pipeline waves crashing one after the other, hard on the shore.


I love the feel of soft sand between my toes and also the feel of my feet sinking into the sand as the waves wash around my ankles.

I love collecting shells as I stroll along the beach.

I love the sound of seagulls calling out as they fight for morsels that wash on shore.



I love the sight and sound of the long beach grasses blowing in the wind along the sand dunes.

I love the sound of dogs barking as they race along the beach in front of their owners chasing sticks or balls or birds.


I love climbing over the rocks and exploring rock pools at low tide.

I love watching the colonies of soldier crabs scamper over the flats and then tunnel silently into the sand when they sense danger.


I love to see young people sitting in groups on their beach towels, listening to music, drinking their sodas, laughing and soaking up the vitamin D.

I love to see families on the beach, flying kites, building sand castles, doing cartwheels, writing messages in the sand with sticks and being 'together'.


I love to see old couples sitting in their fold up chairs, with coffee flasks beside them, and wearing big hats as they sit with their fishing rods placed strategically in rod holders in front of them.

I love to see young couples waking up in their panel vans or combi vans on the beach front, climbing out and stretching as they lift their faces to the morning sunlight.

I love to see joggers and walkers leaving their footprints in the sand as the dawn light creeps over the horizon.

I love the sight of a storm building over the ocean as the dark clouds loom and the thunder rolls across the sea.




I love to sit on the bench seat overlooking the beach and watch the world go by.

The list goes on and on.

So today, I am grateful to be living in a beachside community, close enough to the water that I can reach the beach in a 5 minute trike ride and enjoy all that it has to offer.

Nite all.



  

No comments: