Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 8 in a Year of my Life

If someone had told me, ten years ago, that I would be a keen bird watcher in my future, I would have laughed in their face!

My first pet was a budgie named Sooty (my dog and my cat were also named Sooty).

Later, when I was about 5 or 6, I had a pet galah that roamed freely around the house and was trained to do it's 'business' on the toilet seat.  I don't remember his name.

When my kids were little, we briefly had a pet Peach Face, but it didn't last very long.

It's not that I didn't like birds.  They just didn't interest me really.

Since I found photography, I've become a bit passionate about birds.  They are beautiful creatures and I love all types, from the tiny little Honey Eaters, to the colourful Bee Eaters and Fairy Wrens, to the bigger raptors such as Owls, Kites and Eagles.

Even plain old boring ducks pique my interest, and I love to photograph any bird that I can get close to.

The last twelve to eighteen months has been a real learning curve for me with birds and I love that I have a few people in my flickr group who are keen bird watchers and whom I can call upon to learn more about the birds that I sometimes find.

Last year I was told about the Tawny Frogmouths who had been nesting for 6 yrs in a row in the same tree in our town, so I went looking for them and found three chicks in the nest.

This is last years photo ...


... and this year, there appears to be just one chick ...


I didn't even realise it had hatched because it blends in with it's mother's/father's feathers until it opens it's eyes.  I've been watching and waiting for weeks and missed it altogether, because the nest is quite high in the tree, so it's difficult to see much.

This little fellow seems quite curious and he leans over the nest to watch me below.

I've named him 'Pookie'.

So today, I am grateful for all of the wonderful and beautiful birdlife that Mother Nature has to offer and for the education I've received in the past 18 months as I've discovered new birds in my photographic travels.

It just goes to show, it's never too late to learn.

Nite all.

No comments: