Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 206 in a Year of my Life

Terrible, terrible tornados in Oklahoma, USA in the past couple of days.

Last I heard, 91 people were confirmed dead and the devastation is just heart breaking to see.

Even though, for me, it was difficult to watch, I was doing ok.  Vegan Chickie called me to see if I was ok, which I was.

Then I watched the news tonight.  I struggled.

Re-living the fear was difficult, but what felt like a war zone to us, and a disaster beyond compare ... now seems so minimal, and trivial, compared to what they have endured in Oklahoma.

Worst of all, for these poor people, is that there are still storms in the area and the strong and real possibility of any number of tornados touching down on their already decimated town.

The fear they must be feeling is palpable.

In January, the morning after the tornado hit our town, the police were walking our streets and  warning us that there was a danger we could be hit by more tornados in the next few hours.

I can't describe to you, the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, and how, with every sound, my eyes darted in all directions expecting to see something forming and heading in our direction.

I feel so helpless for those people.  I feel my throat getting tight whenever I try to put myself in their shoes.

My sister, Squirt, phoned me tonight as well, to make sure I was ok.

I'm ok.  I'm scared for the people of Oklahoma.

Isn't it funny, how after we've experienced a disaster ourselves, other people's disasters touch us so much more deeply?

Today, I'm grateful for family who love me.


A sunset photo to bring an air of peace.

Nite all.
 


No comments: