Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day 356 in a Year of my Life

I've been doing lots more research and reading about diet and health in 'the olden days' compared to 'now'.  In summary, this is what I've found:

Obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic modern disease only became an issue in the 1900s. The first documented case of a heart attack was in 1926.  By the 1950s, heart disease had become common, and so experts were scrambling for solutions. Unfortunately, they picked the wrong one.

Saturated fat was targeted as the culprit, but saturated fat consumption dropped 83% in the 1900s. And, consumption of vegetable oil, margarine, and shortening increased 535%. 

This is the scary one - sugar consumption rose by 1150%!!!

Skeptics often use the argument that our bacon and lard eating ancestors didn't live very long, but this isn't actually the case.  The averages that they use for this argument, include the high numbers of infant deaths, which reduces the lifespan age considerably.  In actual fact, people lived to their 80s and 90s and their later health was of a higher quality than today.

And, what few people know is that we have now reduced our lifespan—and often our later years are spent riddled with disease and taking numerous medications.

Even if we have long life expectancy, diseases notably reduce our number of years in health.  Children are now expected to die ten to fifteen years BEFORE their parents.

We need to get the message out that real fats like butter and coconut oil are healthful, and in fact, eliminating them from our diet has drastic consequences.  We need to remove processed and refined sugar from our diets, because THAT has a profound negative effect on our health.

Our ancestors didn’t worry about heart disease, cancer or diabetes.

They didn’t fear Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease.

These diseases were so incredibly rare before the 1900s and our ancestors simply ate food – real food, and were nourished. Chronic degenerative diseases rates were incredibly low.

The leading cause of death before 1900 was one of three things: infancy death, death from infections & death from accidents (read more here).  Today, the leading causes of death are heart disease & cancer. (statistics here) If you add all the cancer statistics together .. they outnumber heart disease .. and seem to be increasing every year.

Makes you wonder where those millions of dollars worth of charity raised funds are going doesn't it?

We really must take a closer look at our diets

I set myself a task of taking notice of the ads on television that promote food (usually I zone out during the ads and use that time to write this blog lol) and when you really watch and listen, the words that they use to trick people into believing that the food is full of natural goodness, is quite shocking.

Honestly, the only foods that are natural (not counting meat), are the ones that you pick from the plant.  If the food comes in a packet or in a powdered form or with a list of ingredients that contain numbers or words that you can't pronounce, then it is not full of natural goodness!

Ok I'm off the soapbox.  Thank you for listening.

I've submitted my photo for 'Minimalist' in the flickr group ...


My Tawny Frogmouth chicks have not come out to say hello for a couple of days.  It's been very windy here, so perhaps they feel safer tucked under Dad's feathers.

Adoring Husband is off playing golf - perfect day for it - while I am listening to OB (the cockatiel) talking and screeching and whistling and chirping and squealing and generally being a nuisance.  SEB (the other cockatiel) sits quietly on her eggs in the nesting box.  We still have no idea if they are fertile or not, but we'll probably know in the next week to 10 days.

It's a lovely bright sunny Spring day with a nice breeze blowing and all is right with my world for the moment.

Today I'm grateful to be looking forward to seeing my little Chicklet in about a week and also an exciting mini road trip with The Nikonian.  I'm very excited!

Nite all.




No comments: