Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Day 360 in a Year of my Life

Two recipes from yesterday's post ...

Vegetable Slice.


Serving Size: Serves 4 (4 Large Slices if it's your main, otherwise 6-8 as a side)

Ingredients:

4 Whole Eggs
1/2 Cup Chick Pea or Coconut Flour
1 Large Carrot (grated)
1 Medium Zucchini (grated)
1 Cup Pumpkin (grated)
1/2 Large Red Capsicum (finely chopped)
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley
3 Tablespoons Feta Cheese

Method:

Pre heat oven 180C.

Crack eggs into a bowl and beat on low until well mixed.

Once egg mix is smooth, add chick pea flour and beat again until smooth.

In a separate bowl, add the grated zucchini, pumpkin, carrot and the capsicum, onion and finely chopped parsley.

Then pour in egg mix and crumbled feta cheese and stir through.

Line a round oven dish with baking paper and slowly pour in mix. Spread the mix evenly into dish.

Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until cooked through, allow to sit for 5 - 10 minutes, remove from dish, cut into quarters and serve warm with a fresh salad or salsa.

(I was thinking of adding some toasted pine nuts next time)

For the Lemon Chilli Chicken (for which I don't have a photo, and this is a modified recipe from somewhere else)

Lemon Ginger and Chilli Chicken

Ingredients:

2 Chicken Breasts

Marinade:
2 x Small Chilli finely chopped.
2 Tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
Juice of half lemon
2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh ginger
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoon of raw honey
pinch of salt and pepper

Preheat oven 180C

Combine everything except the chicken and mix well.

Put the chicken into into a plastic bag, or a container that can be sealed, and pour the marinade over the chicken.

Keep in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.

Place on a flat tray in the oven and pour the leftover marinade over the top.  Bake in the oven for approx 40 mins (depending on the size)

************

I get very excited on Thursdays because it's FROG box day!

We got lots of delicious fresh food again today as well as some extras that I ordered, like raw cashews, kale, eggs, coconut cream and juicing oranges among other things.

We also visited Nana's Pantry and stocked up on coconut flour, shredded/flaked/desiccated coconut, walnuts, cocoa powder and flaked almonds.

The seafood shop supplied some salmon steaks, whiting fillets and some other fish that Adoring Husband wanted.

So our fridge and pantry is choc-a-block and overflowing with all sorts of goodies!

Adoring Husband has requested some kale chips with dinner tonight, so I'd best get on that now.

Today, I'm grateful that Adoring Husband is warming to the idea of new and improved eating habits and hope that he will soon notice a difference in the way he feels.  We know he won't be cured, but if we can ease his symptoms, it will be worth it.

Nite all.

No comments: