Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Day 358 in a Year of my Life

Thought I might keep my post a bit lighter today.

I LOVE avocados.

Avocados have no natural enemy and therefore don't require spraying with any chemicals.

Avocados are poisonous to birds.

We have two avocado trees in our garden.  One is five years old and produced one avocado last year and has three on it this year.  The other plant is only two years old, so should bear fruit next year.

The trouble that we have here, is that when the avocado tree flowers, it's the windiest time of the year and the strong winds tend to blow the flowers off the tree.

This is why we only find the fruit right at the base of the tree where it is slightly protected from the wind by the fence beside it.

So we've decided to keep it pruned so that it doesn't grow too tall.  Being tall it gets even more battered by the winds.

Still we persist.

Ten Things That Eating Avocados Regularly Will Give You:

  1. Healthier Cholesterol
  2. Healthier Blood Pressure
  3. Healthier Blood Sugar
  4. Improved Cancer Protection
  5. Good Digestion
  6. A Healthier Pregnancy
  7. A Healthier Heart
  8. Healthier Eyes
  9. A Healthier Brain
  10. Slower ageing


So ... NEVER feel guilty about gobbling up those avocados!

A few years ago, we planted some Asiatic Lily bulbs in our garden - right beneath the avocado tree co-incidentally enough - and they grow back thicker every Spring.

Today, I decided to pick a few for a vase on my desk, because they are so beautiful and I don't get to enjoy them when they are hiding away in the front corner of the garden.

They are the prettiest colour!


The 'love' sign, I bought from the markets in Brisbane last February and it sits against the wall beside my desk permanently.

It's such a glorious Spring day and I am feeling the love!

Another one of those days when the air is so clean that the colours are more vibrant and the air rushes into your lungs to give you a bit of a high.

I think I'll make myself a snack and go sit in the garden swing to take advantage of the fresh air for a while.

Today, I'm grateful that I have love in my life.

Afternoon all. 









No comments: