Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Day 359 in a Year of my Life

More good food!

I could grow broccoli in the last town that I lived, without any problems at all, but here, we have struggled to grow broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.  The bugs adore those crops, so we gave up and haven't tried again for the last couple of years.

Broccoli is so good for you!

It contributes to strengthening the immune system, reduces the frequency of occurrence of cataracts, it supports cardiovascular health and participates in building bones.

Broccoli is rich in beneficial nutrients and, for those of you who care, has very few calories. 100 grams of broccoli contains only 28 calories, and 3 grams of protein.


I love to finely crumble broccoli florrets into my creamy cauliflower or cashew cream sauces or add them to my green smoothies.  I also add them to fried rice and omelettes and frittatas and keep the stems to add to my home made vegetable stock.

They are also delicious lightly steamed, served with a splash of lemon juice and sprinkled with toasted flaked almonds.

Hmmm yum!

An updated photo of our lovely little Tawny Frogmouth chicks ...


Aren't they cute!?

I had some more fun in the kitchen today and made a Vegetable Slice and Lemon Chilli Chicken, which I served with a tomato, onion and avocado salsa.  I'll share the recipes for them tomorrow.

For dessert, we had the last of Adoring Husband's birthday cake with kiwi fruit and cream.

Loving the food at the moment... as you can tell.

Today I'm grateful for more perfect Spring weather, but feeling afraid for all the people in NSW whose lives and property are being threatened by the terrible bush fires that are out of control down that way right now and for the hundreds of volunteer fire fighters working round the clock to gain some kind of control.

Let them all be safe.

Nite all.




2 comments:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

I also gave up growing broccoli, cabbage and cauli Roz, until this year when I put a pretend white butterfly/moth on a stick and sat it between the cabbages . Apparently the white moth is territorial! Who would have known. I also sprayed the cabbages with white oil as a precautionary. I will try broccoli next year. I also love it.

Age said...

That is a very interesting piece of information Judi .. indeed .. WHO would have known!? I will definitely try that next season~