Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, November 15, 2013

Cherry Ripe Delights

One food that I have really missed in the last two years since I went gluten free, is Cherry Ripes.

So, today, I decided to create my own Cherry Ripe.




Here is the recipe for my Cherry Ripe Delights.

For the Chocolate

1 Cup of solid cacao butter
1 Cup of cocoa powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup of liquid sweetener, like raw honey, pure maple syrup or coconut nectar

For the Cherry Ripe Filling

250 g Glace Cherries (mine had no sugar and were organic, but not sure what brand because I threw the packet away)
1/2 Cup of raw cashews, soaked in water for 4 hours (then drain the water off)
1/2 Cup of dessicated coconut
1/4 Cup coconut oil
1/4 Cup of water

You will need a high powered blender or food processor.  Mini patty papers.  Tray or plate that will fit in the freezer.

Method

Chocolate

  1. Gently melt the cacao butter in a pot or double boiler.
  2. Once melted, add the cacao powder and vanilla essence to the pot and stir to combine.
  3. Next, add your liquid sweetener of choice.  Stir
  4. Set aside.
Cherry filling

  1. Put the cashews, coconut oil and water in the blender and blend until creamy (it doesn't matter if there are a few chunky bits - that just adds more texture).
  2. Add the cherries and dessicated coconut and 'pulse' a few times until the cherries are well chopped, but still a bit chunky.
  3. Put mixture in a bowl.
Take your patty pans and place them on the tray.   Use a spoon to pour chocolate into the patties to about quarter the way up.

Once done, put the tray in the freezer for about 10 minutes, until the chocolate is set.

Remove from the freezer and spoon a small amount of cherry mixture onto the chocolate, then pour more chocolate over the top until the cherry mixture is covered.

Place the tray in the freezer until set.  Store the cherry ripes in the fridge.


This is the healthiest form of chocolate that you can eat, but it melts easily in your hands and also when they are out of the fridge.  That's the price you pay for healthy stuff.

What a shame (she says with a sarcastic tone) that Adoring Husband is on a liquid diet and can't eat any of these delicious little treats!

It's ok, I made him some apple and blueberry ice cream for his liquid treat.


It's been a rainy stormy day today and now it's after midnight!

I climbed into bed last night, 3 hours earlier than usual, and then woke up at 3am, which is 3 hours earlier than usual!  I can't believe that I am still awake now!

Must be the magic Maca Powder that I'm taking.  I'll tell you about that one day soon.

Nite all.

No comments: