Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, November 16, 2013

More Food

After making two batches of ice cream in 3 days, each requiring 5 egg yolks, I had 10 egg whites sitting in the fridge waiting to be used.

Since Adoring Husband and I are both sugar free, the usual pavlova was out of the question, so I went on the hunt for something else.

This is what I found - Coconut Flour Tortillas.  A batch of 5 tortillas, uses 5 egg whites.  It's gluten free, grain free, sugar free, dairy free and actually delicious!

Ingredients:

5 egg whites
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (my almond milk was out of date, so I used raw milk instead)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix for about 30 seconds.  Let it sit for at least 10 minutes so that the coconut flour can hydrate.

This mixture sticks to the pan, so you either need a good non-stick pan or use oil.

Once the pan is hot, pour some batter into the centre and tilt the pan so that the mixture spreads evenly over the bottom - about 7 inches in diameter.

Put the pan back on the hotplate and let it cook until the top is no longer shiny.  Flip the tortilla and let it cook for about another minute.



Take it out and place on paper towel, while you cook the others.  Try not to let them sweat, or they go soggy.

Fill them with whatever you like.  I made this filling:

Tortilla Filling Ingredients

1 cup of finely shredded cabbage
1 medium carrot - grated
1 small onion - cut into fine rings
1 chicken breast - cut into fine strips
2 T GF soy sauce
2 T pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon of chilli paste (I make my own)
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry it all up in a pan with a little butter.  If it gets too dry, add about a 1/4 cup water.


Spoon the mixture into the tortilla, so that it looks like this ...


I had two for lunch yesterday and then 3 for dinner last night (which made me uncomfortably full!).  They are very filling

I also made some banana bread during my cooking frenzy ...


It's quite nice, but if I used this recipe again, I'd add more walnuts and I wouldn't use chocolate chips.  It's very heavy and very filling.

If you're interested in the recipe, leave a comment and I will post it on here for you.

Yesterday morning, Adoring Husband came with me to see the Tawny chicks.  My favourite, who I have named 'Ethel', didn't like his visit and showed her discontent!


Don't you agree, they have the most interesting and amazing mouth?

It seems AH has just arrived home from his SES training, so I'm off to give him a warm welcome.

Nite all.

2 comments:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

I LOVE that tortilla recipe Roz so I will try it when I get back from JC. I am following a Paleo way of eating so they fit right in.
The Tawnies are just the cutest and photograph beautifully.

Age said...

Thanks Judi .. and I hope you enjoy the tortilla too!