Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, February 7, 2014

On the Rebound

There was once a time in my life when sports and fitness were a slight obsession of mine, but these days, I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, a fitness freak.

I like to ride my trike every day, but I do it with little effort, and only for about 30 minutes most days, 60 minutes sometimes, but it's a very leisurely hour.

I don't care much for walking, unless it's strolling along the the beach or wandering along the river path with my little Chicklet.

The idea of the gym scares the life out of me!

I only run if I am in danger.

I always wanted to try Tai Chi, but it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I have owned a rebounder for a few years now and it has spent most of it's time stored in the shed out the back - HOWEVER - it will be making an appearance upon my return from the Sunny Coast next week.

Rebounding:
  • provides an increased G-force (gravitational load), which benefits the body by strengthening the musculoskeletal systems.
  • benefits lymphatic circulation by stimulating the millions of one-way valves in the lymphatic system. This benefits the body's immune capacity for fighting current disease, destroying cancer cells, eliminating antigens and preventing future illness.
  • circulates more oxygen to the tissues.
  • increases capacity for respiration.
  • strengthens the heart and other muscles in the body so that they work more efficiently.
  • lowers circulating cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
  • lowers low-density lipoprotein (bad) in the blood and increases high-density lipoprotein (good) holding off the incidence of coronary artery disease.
  • promotes tissue repair.
  • improves the brain’s responsiveness to the vestibular apparatus within the inner ear, thus improving balance.
  • offers relief from neck and back pains, headaches, and other pain caused by lack of exercise. Rebound Exercise has been shown to benefit body alignment and posture.
  • enhances digestion and elimination processes.
  • allows for deeper and easier relaxation and sleep.
  • results in better mental performance, with keener learning processes.
  • minimises the number of colds, allergies, digestive disturbances, and abdominal problems.
  • tends to slow down atrophy in the ageing process.
These are the three rebounding exercises:

The Health Bounce is gently bouncing up and down on a rebounder without your feet leaving the mat. It is very low impact and very effective at moving your lymphatic system. Most folks can easily do this for an hour or more while watching tv.

The Strength Bounce is jumping as high as you can. It strengthens primary and stabilizer muscles throughout your body, improves your balance, and moves your lymphatic system like nothing else. That’s what you want to work up to.

Aerobic Bouncing is jumping jacks, twisting, running in place, bouncing on one leg at a time, dancing, and any other crazy manoeuvres you can think of. Doing these high intensity aerobic exercises will get your blood pumping and your sweat on.

Do it outside in the sunshine before 10am to get your daily dose of Vitamin D at the same time.

Otherwise, there is this ...


That looks relatively easy!

Nite all.

No comments: