Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

New Luv

There is a new luv in my life.

Adoring Husband is aware of this.

My new luv's name is Pete Evans ... from 'My Kitchen Rules'.

I've known Pete (not personally) for a long time, but he meant nothing to me .. until recently.

I read the transcript of an interview with him, where he talked about his keen interest in nutrition and how his and his family's diet had changed as a result of this interest.

A few weeks after this, I discovered that he had created a recipe book and then I saw two interviews with him on television.

With every word that he spoke, my heart was being pulled by his passion and his nutritional beliefs, which almost mirrored my own .. and then today, I bought his book.

Aside from being a qualified chef for 25 years (with the admission that chefs are not taught about nutrition), he is also, having just completed a course in nutrition,  a qualified health coach.

His cookbook is full of paleo style recipes which are gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and grain free.

Browsing through the book from cover to cover, each photo of the completed recipes made my mouth water and I can't wait to try them all!

Tonight I made his poached pear recipe and they were delicious.  I added my own touch of toasted coconut shavings, but I overcooked the coconut which Adoring Husband didn't enjoy.  The pears were great!

He also has a great section in the book on fermented and cultured foods, like sauerkraut, tomato ketchup, kimchi, mustards, chilli sauce and cultured vegetables.

I was surprised to see that he even shares a recipe from Thomas Corner Eatery on the Sunshine Coast, which has been a favourite haunt of ours in the past.

So the book is called 'Healthy Every Day' - 120 delicious and nourishing recipes for energy and good health.  I got it for $24 at Big W today.

I'd asked Adoring Husband to buy it for me for my birthday, but I just couldn't wait that long!

Now I have it in my hot little hands and Pete Evans is the new luv in my life.

The other fun thing that happened today, was 10 Pin Bowling at Maryborough Tenpin Bowl.


Over three games, Adoring Husband and I both scored 383 points.  The Manager brought us the printout of our games and told us that Adoring Husband had beaten me by one point, but I have just added the scores and we are exactly even!

It was a lot of fun and I wish the bowling alley was closer so that we could play league again.  The 40 minute drive to Maryborough is just too far to travel at night for us oldies.

I found this today and could relate to it.


and then I saw THIS ...


... and I can relate to it EVEN MORE!

More study tomorrow, so I'm outta here.

Nite all.


No comments: