Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sex Education

Caroline Heldman, the speaker in this video, does an incredible job explaining the objectification of women, how it's gotten worse, how damaging it is, and what we can do to address it.

Please take 13 minutes of your time to watch this video .. be you female or male, this is important for everybody to recognise and acknowledge and understand.



She makes so much sense!

*******

We brought three new laying hens home yesterday.

One beautiful strong black bird whose feathers shimmer peacock green in the sunlight.  She is feisty and doesn't like us at all!  She wants to fight and I'm looking forward to introducing her to the psychotic dogs this afternoon .. I think that they will come off second best.  We have named her 'Happy' in the hopes that her name will improve her attitude.

One delicate submissive white bird who has a chipped beak.  The chip on the end of her top beak is bigger than the chip on her bottom beak.  She seems friendly enough and has been happily eating and drinking today without any problems, so she should be ok.  I named her 'Hector' simply because a friend told me yesterday that she liked the name.  Yes, it's a quirky name for a female bird!

One brown/red relaxed girl who looks just like our Helen.  I did email Helen's namesake a few days ago and asked her if she would like to name one of our new hens, but she hasn't been back to me, so Adoring Husband and I have decided to name our third girl, Helen II.  Helen served us well and provided lots of delicious eggs, so I hope that her successor can find the same happiness here.  It suits her.

Photos will come tomorrow, so that I can introduce them formally :)


Nite all.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...


Having just read today's blog I
rush to say I did not get the
email aboout naming Helen 11 - or
I would OF COURSE have replied!!
You know me well enough to believe that!!
I am SO glad I still have a representative in the chook yard and look forward to hearing what I get up to! love, grannymus

Age said...

Well, first time out of the pen and she decided that the safest spot in the garden was on TOP of the chook pen .. just one quick flight would take her over the fence and to freedom!!

... and YES I know that you would have replied :)