Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Steady Pace

If you want to know something, you need to ask the right people the right questions.

I got brave and posted in the online student common room, asking the other students for advice on how to deal with this online studying and whether they had ideas to make it a bit easier for someone who hasn't studied for many years.

So far, I've had two excellent replies, with fantastic and helpful tips.

One of them told me about 'mind maps'.

I have NEVER heard of mind maps!

So I googled it!

WOW!

Hundreds of images of mind maps in all different colours and styles.  Hand drawn.  Computer generated.  There are youtube videos showing how to create a mind map.  There are even apps for mind maps!

While searching youtube, I discovered a whole series of video tutorials on how to write essays and how to complete assignments.

Things have certainly changed in the 25 years since I studied.

My first essay for Naturopathic Philosophy needs to be 500 words in length.  My first incomplete draft is already 600 words!

Clearly, I need to hone my essay writing skills.

I posted this revelation on Facebook which triggered some more helpful advice.

By the end of the day, I had gained new insights into methods of planning study and writing essays and creating assignments and sitting exams.

This is now a whole new ballgame!

I do, now, feel better prepared and I have some great ideas to put into practise.

I also made a 'to do' list yesterday and actually completed everything on the list.  Sometimes I amaze myself.

What a roller coaster ride this experience has already been, and I haven't even completed my first assignment yet.

They do tell me that it gets easier.  I just have to ride the wave of self discovery!



Nite all.

No comments: