Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Playing on my Mind

This is going to be a bit of a rant, so if you disagree with my stance on doctors, or you are sick of listening to me harp on about what I consider to be dubious or questionable medical practises, then you should probably log out now.

After yesterday's visit to Adoring Husband's doctor, there are a couple of things that have really been playing on my mind.

First of all, while AH was taking antibiotics to prevent further infection after his dental procedure PLUS taking a steroid based nasal spray to help open his nasal passages that he was having trouble with, he began to experience chest pain and had trouble breathing.

Naturally, this was highly concerning for him and caused a bit of a panic.

I researched a bit more about Parkinson's Disease and there was some information about this being symptomatic of the disease, however, it doesn't usually just appear, it happens gradually and there are breathing and posture exercises that can help, as well as building strength in the core by exercising regularly .. cycling, walking etc.

It didn't seem to me that this sudden onset was anything to do with the Parkinsons, so I then checked the list of side effects for both of the medications that AH was taking and BOTH of them listed 'breathing difficulties' as side effects and both stated that he should either consult his doctor or stop taking it.

He stopped taking both immediately and soon the symptoms subsided .. not completely, because he still has a dull ache across his chest that we are investigating further.

So we tell his doctor this story about the side effects and he makes this scrunched up face and shakes his head stating "you know you can read the side effects for any medication and they will all list the same things".

He says it as if this list should be ignored and that we have to take the drugs and are going to suffer the side effects anyway, so why bother?

Seriously?

So what he is telling us, is that to stop feeling like s&*t, we have to take drugs (sometimes indefinitely) that make us feel like s&*t in a different way, and that we shouldn't question it.

NEXT ..

He tells AH that he thinks there may be an infection in his chest.  Just a minor infection and that this is causing the dull ache that he is experiencing.

He makes this announcement after firstly listening to AH's chest and then reading AH's history which showed that in 2011 he had a chest x-ray highlighting some scarring from previous bronchial/lung problems in his life.

He then proceeds to explain that a prescription for antibiotics will soon clear that up.

Silence from Adoring Husband .. quite willing to accept some more drugs.

I said "He has just taken two rounds of antibiotics for the tooth abscess that he had. One round to get rid of the infections and then a second lot to prevent further infection after the dental procedure, which he only stopped taking 2 days ago. Shouldn't THAT have cleared any infection in his chest IF he had one?"

"Oh really?" was his response. "Yes *insert name of antibiotic here* should clear any general infections in the body. Ok, well, let's get an x-ray to rule out anything else and then we'll consider our next steps."

I'm sure you can tell that by now, I am seething.

I'm sitting in the chair beside Adoring Husband with my new book "Take Control of Your Health and Escape the Sickness Industry" on my lap, and at this moment, I would like very much to take an almighty swing and belt him over the head with it!

He knew that AH had just had dental work because of an abscess .. surely common sense would tell this health professional that drugs would have been involved.

It seems to me that Adoring Husband needs his 'Body Guard' with him for every visit.

You see, I always thought that a doctor was supposed to help us feel good.

I don't see any of my friends, who take ongoing medications, feeling good or feeling alive, energetic, vibrant, alert, healthy or healed.

Since AH has been seeing this particular doctor, I have seen him get sicker and sicker and every time he returns from a doctor's visit, he has at least one new prescription to have filled for yet more toxic drugs.

Every year there is a new diagnosis for a new disease or condition that was probably caused by one of the many toxic drugs that he has ingested over the years anyway.

What amazes me more than anything else .. is his pure and unadulterated scepticism of Naturopathy and the Natural Health industry which supports and facilitates the body's natural ability to heal without toxic drugs or invasive treatments.

The problem is, that there is so much damage already done by the medical and pharmaceutical industries, that it seriously takes a LOT of time and a lot of work to bring the human body back to a healthful state, by removing the toxins and healing everything from the inside out.

I don't believe that supplements are the answer .. for example, you can't take fish oil tablets and expect them to override all the toxic debris that you have in your body, to fix your aches and pains. You also can't abuse your body with poor diet, lack of activity, ingestion of toxic drugs for 30, 40 or 50 years and then expect to fix it overnight.

I believe that it's all about your attitude.

You can believe in your doctor 100% and continue taking the drugs on offer, but as your health continues to deteriorate and your mind becomes more and more negative about your 'lot' in life, nothing will ever change.

I've said it before .. and I'll say it again .. we have to take charge ourselves and be an active advocate for our own healthcare. Don't be ridden into the ground.

Meanwhile, this 'bodyguard' will be on permanent duty from here on in.

Nite all.

No comments: