Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Memories

I discovered today that our new neighbours are Country & Western music fans, so I posted this fact on facebook, hoping to receive some sympathetic comments from friends and family.

Much to my shock, horror and disappointment, the majority of the comments I received were supporting my neighbours!! Ugh!!

However, the comment triggered a lot of discussion which then took us on a stroll down memory lane to my parents and their love of Charlie Pride and Nana Mouskouri and even Dad's crush on a gospel singer by the name of Evie Tornquist ...


Cousins, from my Dad's side of the family and an Aunty who was once married to my Dad's brother came into the discussion and shared memories from 40+ years ago.  At the end, my Aunty thanked me for starting the discussion and welcoming all comments and she said that she loved sharing memories with the younger generations of the family.

I must say that I count on her to share memories now, because I don't have my Mum and Dad to ask anymore.

Also, my brother shared a memory from our childhood. We lived in a caravan park in Sunnybank back in the late 60s and early 70s. It was called Seven Trees Caravan Park and there was a massive mulberry tree growing near the laundry/shower block and he and I used to climb that tree every day, especially when it was fruiting.

We stained our clothes, our hands and our feet with mulberry juice and often got into trouble for it.

Apparently, (and this is the bit that I don't remember) there was a slow gas leak coming from the laundry block which made my brother and I very sick because we spent so much time in the tree, unknowingly breathing in the gas.

Interesting.

I do know that I've always wanted a mulberry tree, so Adoring Husband and I planted one in our back yard when we moved here and it's growing beautifully. Unfortunately, the birds love the mulberries as much as I do and I'm lucky to get a couple of handfuls of mulberries each season!

Speaking of fruit, our garden has been a little more productive than usual. We have our first avocado on Chicklet's tree that we planted 3 years ago. We have our first pomegranate on the tree we planted 2 yrs ago. Our lemon trees are fruiting for the first time and actually looking healthy, so I'm glad that we persisted when they were looking decidedly ill in the past couple of years. We have a beautiful crop of mangos on our tree at the back fence. Our grape vine has produced grapes for the first time in 6 years. There was a massive crop of peaches, but between the birds and the grubs, I only got to eat about four of them.

After the storms over the past week and with about 5 inches of rain, the asparagus is suddenly flourishing and I picked about a dozen thick spears today and there are many more poking their heads through the dirt!

The corn has taken a battering with the strong winds pushing them over and every time they find their way back to the vertical position, we get another storm to knock them back down! Even so, they still look lush and green and healthy.

I think that's about it for the food, except for our herbs and chillies which are also doing very well.

I've had a spot of luck tonight on Foxtel TV. The second part of the Hunger Games movie is showing, so I'm watching it to help connect all the missing links from the third part of the series that we watched at the cinema last week!

Adoring Husband is out with the SES helping direct traffic and safe parking for the Carols by Candlelight just out of town.

I got a few hours of Chemistry study done today, which wasn't the slightest bit fun. Formulae and calculations to determine percentages and energy requirements for my sized body. Just to mention some of what I had to figure out.  At least I completed two more lessons in my plan, so I achieved something!

I also got to watch the end of the Australian PGA golf championship, where Adam Scott and Greg Chalmers played off seven holes to determine the winner. Greg Chalmers was victorious.

I even did some washing today and the best bit of all, was that I didn't get out of bed til 10am!! Adoring Husband accidentally woke me at 8am when he brought in my coffee and then I sat up in bed with my ipad for two long leisurely hours.

What a blissful way to start a Sunday!

Nite all.

No comments: