Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

It's Over

I usually try to avoid religion and politics in here, but it's been a terrible day of tragedy in Sydney.

The media have filled the day with tripe, attempting to incite anger and fear by directing blame where it shouldn't go.

I just want to say this ...

Stop linking the Sydney siege to Islam. The perpetrator was not a Jihadist, but a criminal described by his own lawyer as "damaged goods". He was plainly not a terrorist, but a mentally disturbed individual and serial sex offender. He couldn't even get his props right: the black flag that he forced his hostages to hold can be bought for $2 in any discount store found in the capital cities. It didn't represent any extremist group.

What should come out of this is that we need to look at how we manage people with mental health issues and also take a serious look at our justice system, which unbelievably allowed this criminal to walk free.

The overwhelming sadness that I (and most of Australia) feel for the families of the two victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson is so heavy and oppressive that it's difficult to focus on anything else. We can only imagine the depth of their grief and the horror that they have been through.

Not to mention the survivors who will suffer, probably forever, with the memories of their hell on earth experience.

Those of us who are not connected personally with any of these people feel overwhelming relief that our own friends and family were spared, but at the same time suffer a nagging guilt for having those feelings.

We all wish we could turn back the clock, prevent this terrible tragedy from happening and make it all disappear.

All I wish is for everybody to show love and kindness to each other, stop the hatred and anger and open your loving arms. There is more love and goodness in the world than you will ever imagine and that's what we should be focussing on.



My plan is to turn off the news and current affairs and to stop reading the 'comments' on the internet.

To my friends and family .. I love you and I'm so happy to have you in my life. I'm grateful that you are safe and well and I hope that love and peace is enveloping you and your loved ones as you read this.

Nite all.

No comments: