Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Foodgasmic

Well after approximately 125mm (5 inches in the old scale) of rain in two days, the sun is now shining and not a cloud can be seen in any direction. All weather warnings have been cancelled and now we enjoy the biting heat of the sun and the oppressive humidity as all that dampness evaporates into the atmosphere.

I spent the morning making up the dog's food and had to take the pedestal fan into the kitchen because I was dripping with perspiration!

Today's doggy concoction was made up of 2kgs beef mince, 2kgs chicken mince, 1 ox heart, 4 leaves of kale, 4 leaves of silverbeet, half a large pumpkin (cooked), 2 carrots, a big bunch of celery leaves, half a cup of plain greek yoghurt, 3 eggs (shells and all), 1/4 cup coconut oil, 4 T cod liver oil, 2 T turmeric and 1 heaped teaspoon of spirulina.

Everything in this mix is raw except for the pumpkin and all the veggies are blended because it's easier for the dogs to digest and get all the nutrients that way.

So I mixed up the minces together in a giant baking dish and then blended everything else in the blender, which took about four loads. I poured everything over the mince and then mixed it all together by hand. I got 13 containers each with 500g in them, so the dogs get approx 170g each per meal.

I haven't actually calculated the costs, but I do know that it's cheaper than feeding just plain mince or meat and also cheaper than the (supposedly) good quality dog biscuits that we were buying. It takes about an hour to make up, put into the containers and then clean up. I have to do that once per fortnight, but I think it's worth the effort.

Meanwhile, yesterday afternoon, Adoring Husband had to travel out of town for a SES meeting with some people of importance, so we decided to have our main meal for lunch. We had lamb rack with roasted veggies.






The lamb was seared in a hot pan and then placed on a bed of onion slices and popped in 200C oven for thirty minutes.

I sprinkled the vegetables (fresh beetroot, zucchini, carrot and sweet potato) with Himalayan salt and cracked pepper, placed some garlic cloves between them and tossed some fresh sprigs of thyme over the top. They roasted for 40 minutes in the same oven. I took the meat out to rest for the last ten minutes that the veg cooked.

I always bake on baking paper and I brushed it with coconut oil for the veg.

It looked so good on the plate, that I forgot to take a photo because I just wanted to eat it! I drizzled balsamic vinegar over the vegetables and crumbled a little feta cheese on top. Delicious!

I currently have a big batch of chicken stock brewing in the slow cooker and it smells great!

Tonight we will be enjoying dinner at a friend's house. There will be twelve of us and I'm really looking forward to a nice friendly and relaxed social atmosphere with some of my favourite people.

Right now, I think I need a nana nap.

Nite all.

No comments: