Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Old Fartism

At the risk of being labelled an 'old fart', I would just like to question the content of some of the most popular TV series' over the past few years.

I must admit that of all of the shows that I am about to list, I only watched one episode of 'The Good Wife' and absolutely NONE of the others.

I have heard a LOT about these shows from the people who I know that watch them. I have read a 'little' about each of them and I did some research on them tonight, checking out IMDB and looking at each of their websites (if they had one) and looked at some reviews.
  • Penny Dreadful
  • American Horror Story
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • The Leftovers
  • The Affair
  • Boardwalk Empire
  • Scandal
  • Revenge
  • How to Get Away With Murder
  • Hannibal
  • House of Cards
  • Mad Men
  • The Good Wife
  • Orange is the New Black
  • The Walking Dead
  • Game of Thrones
  • Dexter
  • Breaking Bad
These shows regularly show graphic physical violence, sexual assault and rape, domestic violence, murders, revenge killings, kidnappings, carjackings, fraud, corruption, theft, break and enters, drive-by shootings, drug use, extra-marital affairs, serial killers, cannibalism, poisonings, high speed car chases usually ending in exploding vehicles and death, and then there are the zombies, vampires, demons, ghosts, wolves and other supernatural beings, all of whom have their very own brand of everything that I've already mentioned.

People of all ages are thoroughly enjoying these shows and discussing them with enthusiasm on social media and looking forward to the next episode or the new series with impatience.

Has everybody become numb to the moral issues involved here? They see it every day on TV and then when it happens in real life, they brush it aside and rate it of little importance. Or they make the obligatory "Oh how horrible" comment and then it immediately disappears into the dark recesses of the mind, to be stored with all the other "horrible" memories that no longer pack a punch.

I don't understand how people can 'enjoy' these shows. How they can warm to the evil characters and root for them .. even have crushes on them. It seems that everyone is getting sucked into the mindless vortex of twisted violence on their screens.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest. It's been bothering me for some time.

Meanwhile I've had a busy day cooking. Firstly, Zucchini Noodles with Avocado Cream Sauce and you can find the recipe here.


I added 2 Tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt and 1 Tablespoon of raw honey to the sauce. I added 2 chopped bacon rashers and half a sliced onion to the zucchini (I fried it off in duck fat first). It was delicious!

Then I cleaned out my fridge in preparation for our first FROG box of the year which was full of Paleo fruit and vegetables, all of it absolutely beautiful.

It's been raining all day, quite heavily for most of it, so I have a couple of loads of washing hanging all over the house and I also got some more of my essay done and I'm feeling good about my progress with that.

More cooking at dinner time. I invented a Chicken Coconut & Lime dish with Cashews and then cleaned up afterwards as Adoring Husband headed off for his first night back for regular SES training nights.

I'm sad to say that I just watched Lleyton Hewitt lose his second round tennis match, in five sets to the German player, Benjamin Becker. He won the first two sets so easily and then all of a sudden Becker found form and Lleyton had no answers. It's Hewitt's 19th consecutive year playing in the Aussie Open and hopefully he'll be back again next year for his 20th.

Now I'm excited to watch another Aussie, Samantha Stosur, play in her second round match. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Nite all.






No comments: