Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, May 25, 2015

Back Garden Ruckus

I was in the kitchen when I heard a ruckus outside.

I looked up, and even though I wasn't wearing my glasses, I could see through the sliding doors, a large bird sitting on the trailer outside. The trailer where the ride on mower lives, and a Willy Wagtail was making a hell of a noise while dive bombing the bird, which was completely ignoring Willy.

So I hurriedly grabbed my camera from the bag, which was conveniently on the floor near the door, and checked the settings (which is unusual for me because I usually take a dozen shots and THEN check, only to find everything is overexposed, and while I'm fixing the settings, my subject suddenly disappears) and then I stood in the open doorway and fired a few shots.

At this point, the Goshawk, jumped up onto the ride on mower seat and ruffled his feathers, as Willy got angrier and louder and closer.


I got a couple more shots in and then checked what I'd done and by the time I looked up again, the Goshawk had disappeared.

I rushed outside to check that he wasn't attacking the chooks because I remembered 'The Nikonian' telling me once, about losing a number of her chooks to a Goshawk. My chooks were very quietly huddled in the chook pen waiting for the coast to be clear.

Today is the tenth anniversary of my Mother's passing. I can't believe it's been ten years. Life zips by so fast. As most of you know, she died at the end of the first State of Origin match in 2005, so even though that game was on 25th May, the first SoO match will always be the anniversary to me .. especially because she loved football, and SoO in particular. Miss you Mum xo

I had a good study day, although ironically, by the end, my brain was hurting from studying about the brain! Still a lot to learn.

Nite all.

No comments: