Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Salubrious Sunday

I was awake early .. for a Sunday!

I walked into the back room to get my tracky dacks to wear for the day, when I noticed, at the end of the bed, my pile of 'small' clothes that I haven't been able to wear for about 6-7 years, due to weight gain, and for some strange reason, I decided to try them on.

Well, what a surprise and what a nice way to start the day!  All but one of them fit perfectly and the one that didn't, is just a little tight. I started my Sunday with a smile on my face.

I visited my boys and then got my coffee, but I couldn't head straight home, because the morning was just so glorious. A perfect sunshiny Winter's day that sparkled with perfect light, clear air and vibrant colours, so I pedalled to the beach, kicked off my shoes, grabbed my camera bag and headed out onto the sand flats at low tide.

I saw only two birds. A Curlew and a Seagull. So there was no photography to be had, but it didn't matter, because it meant I could just feel the cool water running over my bare feet, the sand between my toes, the sunshine on my face and the fresh air in my lungs.

I walked for about half an hour and enjoyed every single solitary minute of it, avoiding the few people that were out and about at that hour.

When I got home, I had a little serving of chocolate chia pudding with strawberries for breakfast and a handful of nuts and sat down at my desk to study.

Before lunch I did some washing and then heated up some chicken broth for lunch, which was delicious. Broth is one of my favourite foods these days. It's so rich with flavour and very satisfying.

I gave up on the study at around 4pm so that I could watch the football and before half time, I began preparing dinner. Adoring Husband was due home and I knew that he would be hungry, so dinner was going to be early. I was also hungry after my light lunch.

Crispy skinned chicken (one of our favourites) with sweet potato chips and salsa, served on a bed of fresh lettuce from a neighbour's garden. Then for dessert, chocolate chia pudding with strawberries and berry syrup. A most satisfying and healthful dinner to end my salubrious Sunday.

Today, my study involved muscles. If I was surprised by bone, then there are no words to describe how I feel about muscles. This is going to be as tough, if not tougher, than Chemistry. Let me give you an example .. this is something that my teacher wrote in an email responding to another student's question ...

*** The lats, pec major and teres major all insert into the lip of the bicipital groove - this groove then is a major landmark for us. Many times the landmarks are named after a muscle that attaches to them (eg deltoid tuberosity) or what the landmarks looks like (e.g. groove) so try and use any such connections to help you remember them. i.e. why is something named like it is. ***

Gobbledy gook huh?

Every muscle has a name, an origin, an insertion, an action, a palpation and an innervation.

So, for example, there is a muscle in the jaw called 'temporalis'. It's origin is the lateral surface of the temporal bone. It's insertion is coronoid process and ramus of the mandible. It's action is to retract and elevate the jaw. It's palpation is lateral surface at temple.  It's innervation is cranial nerve V (trigeminal).

Right?

So every muscle in the body has all of those things and all of them are different and I have to learn them all.

*sigh*

I have to do that in the next 8 days, so that I can sit my exam before I go on holidays. 

I'm beginning to feel just a little overwhelmed.

Anyway, now that I have your sympathy, I'm off to bed.

I thought this quote appropriate for me ..


Nite all. 

No comments: