Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, June 15, 2015

Studious Me.

Study Study Study

That's about the long and the short of it today.

Oh I had a visit from my Jehovah's Witness friends today! Once again I denied them entry .. only because we were just about to sit down to our very late lunch.

The story goes like this ...

About 6 years ago, I made friends with a couple who come to our town every year over the Summer months. They own and work a mine out west, but it's too hot in Summer, so they bring their caravan and spend about 3 months enjoying the cooler coastal weather. He is in his 80s and she is early 60s.

I only just found out early this year that she is a Jehovah's Witness. He is not. She talked about how horrible people are to JWs when they knock on doors, so I naively promised her that I would be nice to the next JWs to knock on my door and invite them in.

As I'm sure you've guessed, two days later, two JWs knocked on my front door!

I was very friendly to them, but I just couldn't invite them in because I was 24 hours away from an exam and couldn't pause my studies for them, so I offered them a genuine apology and suggested "maybe next time".

The next time was the day before my birthday morning tea and I was in the kitchen cooking up a storm. Once again I apologised and offered another 'maybe next time'.

The next time, was today.

Adoring Husband had been in town all day on SES duties and arrived home for a very late lunch .. which I cooked as a main meal, because he had to attend an important SES meeting tonight and had to leave quite early.

We were ten minutes away from sitting down to lunch, when they rang the doorbell.

So, as it turned out, third time was not lucky for them .. but they could smell lunch through the open door, so they knew I wasn't telling fibs. They kindly left me with one of those funky little magazines and promised to return next time.

Yay! *sigh*

I must admit that I've always been curious to hear what they have to say and I'm sure I will have some tricky questions to ask them, so ...

I will definitely invite them into my lounge room one day when AH is not here, and I will have the obligatory discussion about their idea of 'god' and then I will thank them for their time and request that they avoid my doorbell during future visits to our town.

I see that puzzled frown on your brow! I like to keep my mind open to new experiences and I like to hear how 'other people' think, especially with subjects that I've always been taught to disrespect. I only have preconceived ideas about JWs because of what other people have told me, never from first hand experience.

So when it finally happens, you'll be the first to hear all about my JW discussion!

I'm certain that you all know me well enough to realise that I would never be recruited into the JW way of life!

Now, I'm picturing the JW trolls trolling through the internet and discovering my blog and rubbing their hands with glee and sending out a posse on the recruitment drive!! Haha!!




Back to the books.

Nite all.

No comments: