Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Reading the Words

I have another list.

It's a list of books that, apparently, all spiritual seekers should read.

I spend too much time online to actually read, but if I was going to read, these books would be in my top 20 because I'm more of a 'personal growth' and 'self help' kind of girl.

I like to take the bits that I agree with and the bits that I think will help me, discard the rest and then slowly fit all the pieces to the puzzle of my life.

Before I show you the new list, let me give you some examples of books that I have bought, borrowed and read in the last ten years ...

'Just a Little Prick' by Peter and Hilary Butler
'Food is Better Medicine than Drugs' by Patrick Holford
'You Can Heal Your Life' by Louise L Hay
'Crystals and Crystal Healing' by Simon Lily
'On Grief and Grieving' by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross and David Kessler
'The Business of Bliss' by Janet Allon
'Secrets of Longevity' by Dr Maoshing Ni
'The Transformed Mind' by The Dalai Lama
'The Procrastination Equation' by Piers Steel (actually didn't finish that one yet hehe)
'The Journey' by Brandon Bays
'Passage to Power' by Leslie Kenton

... just to name a few AND many many books on Feng Shui!

So my new and short list of books goes a bit like this ...

'Nature and The Human Soul' by Bill Plotkin
'The Way of the Peaceful Warrior' by Dan Millman
'The Denial of Death' by Ernest Becker
'A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose' by Eckhart Tolle

I'm open to other suggestions of course, and I know a few people out there in my cyberworld who could probably recommend a book or two .. I'm certain that Grannymus could share some titles!

So if I could get my life in some kind of order and under my control (and perhaps one of these books could help me do that!) then I could find the time to enjoy reading again. Also, if I could find a book that could keep me awake for more than three pages, that would be a bonus!

Most of my friends and family are BIG readers. They will certainly contribute to keeping libraries, both big and small, remain in existence for a few more decades yet.

There is something that I know readers really love, and it's the smell of a new book, the scent of an old book and the sweet aroma that emits from a secondhand book store.

We have a floor to ceiling book case in one bedroom that is full of recipe books, self help books, gardening books, travel books, photo albums, autobiographies, Clive Cussler novels, my favourite Susan Howatch novels and assorted other reading matter.

I read my Susan Howatch books every couple of years .. in fact I'm due to read them again this year. They take me back to a past era and I easily get lost in their magic.

If you're interested, I didn't get anything done on my 'to do' list today. Oh and I can tell that you are not surprised!

I spent a little longer than usual at morning tea with the girls and then I got a call from Adoring Husband who was out of town and I had to do a job for him at the shopping centre. After that I was riding around town for about an hour looking for nests, until I realised that I didn't even have my camera with me, so I couldn't take any photos anyway!

I cooked up a late lunch for AH, who was supposed to be out of town for the night, but he changed his mind and stayed home instead. My only achievement for the afternoon was doing a couple of loads of washing.

Sheesh.

So let's have a fresh start tomorrow! It's never too late to try again :)

Nite all.

No comments: