Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, December 14, 2015

Fast Work

I am a regular 'faster', but not on purpose! I didn't know that it was contributing to my health in a positive way. Sometimes I fast because I'm too lazy to go to the kitchen, or too lazy to prepare something. Sometimes I fast (especially since going Paleo) because I'm just not hungry, and Adoring Husband worries that I'm not eating enough.

Apparently, even a mini fast has a positive effect on your health. We eat dinner at 6pm most nights, sometimes earlier. Friday nights are the exception. Most days, I don't eat until midday or as late as 2pm, which means a minimum 18 hours without food.

Excluding refined carbs and sugar means that the good fats, proteins and nutrients that we eat, provide a long slow release of energy instead of the short quick bursts that carbs and sugars provide. For that reason, we can go for long periods without food and not experience any ill effects.

This TED talk, by the current Chief of the Laboratory of Neuroscience at the National Institute of Ageing, explains why fasting is good for you. He is also a professor of Neuroscience at The Johns Hopkins University, and one of the foremost researchers in the area of cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying multiple neurodegenerative disorders, like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease, so sometimes it gets a little scientific, but don't give up on it .. it only goes for 15 minutes.



We had a quick trip into The Bay today because it's already time to make up another batch of dog food! The chooks needed some food too.

I made some gooey chocolate cupcakes that, unfortunately, didn't turn out gooey at all, but they taste good chopped up with blueberries, boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries and then topped with chocolate cream :)

This tickled my fancy today ...


I'm thinking about going to the movies tomorrow, by myself, to see the Dressmaker. I'm pretty sure that 23rd December is the last day that it's showing and tomorrow is probably the only chance I'll have to see it before it finishes at the cinema.

So I'd best get some sleep because it will mean an early start tomorrow!

Nite all.



No comments: