Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Unbirthday

I had a very happy 'unbirthday' this morning with my Chicklet family.

An 'unbirthday' is the birthday you have when you can't be with the family for your actual birthday.

My 'unbirthday' throne, where Chicklet called me Queen Bozzy Wozzy ...


... and my delicious unbirthday petit fours ...


... gluten free, but not paleo!

The train was very full and loud and cramped on the trip home. Perhaps it was just because there were so many people, but the seats seemed smaller and space between them seemed smaller too.

For the first time in about two years, I had to sit beside somebody! He was an old man, originally from Howard, now living in Maryborough, who once worked in the mines at Howard and later, he worked on the railway. He knows my boys from the Seat of Knowledge and he was in for a chat.

Our chat would have been very pleasant, but he obviously had a hearing problem and his speaking voice was so loud, it filled the carriage! After a while, I pretended to sleep, because I felt that the other passengers were sick of hearing his life story at full volume.

Unfortunately, there was another passenger on the carriage who also wanted to discuss her life story at full volume. She was much younger, with no hearing problem, but very full of her own self importance and full of confidence that she could change the world (obviously one train carriage at a time).

She explained that she believed that this would be her last life on this earth, and she needed to use all the knowledge that she had gathered in her previous lives, to spread the word and educate the young people of this world to make a difference.

She believed that the problem with young people these days was generational and that she could provide the hope and the values that they need for a better future.

I wondered how she was going to bring hope and values to the youth of the world, while standing on the Gympie station platform, with a group of other passengers, smoking in a 'non-smoking' area, while making her son stand alone in the middle of the platform away from the smokers.

She believed her four year old son was a very old soul with a wonderful warmth about him and beautiful manners that brought her such joy. She believes that he is so charming because of their nomadic lifestyle (that is another story that I won't go into).

We learned that her father left the family home when she was six and that she was forced to live on the streets at the age of fourteen, but through her own tenacity, she developed good morals and values that made her different to the lost youth of today.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

I can't tell you how grateful I was when the train pulled into Maryborough West train station, which was her stop. I'm sure I could physically feel the relief that settled over the remaining passengers - I could almost sense an impending round of applause!

I hope that she CAN make a positive difference in the world. I hope that she CAN do everything that she believes of herself. I just hope that my future doesn't include a shared train trip in the same carriage with her, because I don't want to listen to her story again.

It was fabulous to see Adoring Husband's smiling face when I finally arrived at my destination and we even got to enjoy our afternoon coffee together before I got ready for my weekly jaunt to the Bowl's Club.

Just two glasses of wine tonight.

It's already well after midnight and I don't feel the slightest bit tired! Perhaps I should have had more wine!

Nite all.


No comments: