Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Festive Fun

Ya gotta be quick!

Of course, before we could head to the Multicultural Festival, we had to stop for coffee, so the car's clock displayed 7am as we drove out of town.

There was no traffic and we had a clear run through.

We were the second car to park in the closest car park to the main street of Childers. This is how it looked when we arrived ...

... and this is how it looked when we left. It was completely full and the gates were locked to all entering vehicles.

It was about 7.45am when we walked to the main street, which, every year is closed off to traffic and becomes the temporary home to hundreds of street stalls. I didn't take any other photos, because I was too involved in seeking out that which required my complete attention!

Other than the stall holders, there was barely a soul to be seen, so Adoring Husband and I had the perfect opportunity to see everything without fighting the crowds.

I bought an oil infuser pendant.

I bought another beautiful pendant, which I absolutely love, made with a silver spoon, the inner workings of an old clock and some kind of clear resin.

I bought an aqua pottery fish with a giant mouth - it's purpose is to burn mosquito coils (but I won't be using it for that) - it will sit on one of my new white side tables.

I bought an infinite scarf that can be twisted and shaped to become a bolero - that's the purpose for which I bought it, but now I have to go into the shop's Facebook page to learn how to twist and shape it, because even though the lovely lady showed me how to do it, I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out from memory!

I bought two fermented drinks, quite a bit stronger than the drinks that I buy regularly through FROG or Go Natural. The stall was owned by the 'Bottoms Up Colonic Clinic' in Bundaberg and they were selling jars of fermented vegetables and two different types of kombucha fermented drinks. These are strong enough that 1/4 cup per day is the recommended daily intake.

Their Facebook page is advertising the inaugural 'Colon Hydrotherapy & Gut Health 2016 Conference' which is being held on the Gold Coast at the end of August.

I absolutely would have booked my spot at this conference, except the dates fall at the very worst possible time for me. I would miss the last two days of Bubble's and Knight in Shining Armour's visit AND it is four days before I leave to babysit Chicklet for 3 weeks.

At the moment, I'm completely obsessed with the concept of gut health and the effect it has on the body, from the brain, the immune system, all of our organs and even our personality. The fact that mainstream media and the medical industry are finally taking notice of current scientific studies means something, and I am intrigued.

I can only hope that the conference is a huge success, so that they organise another one for next year, because I'll definitely be signing up for that one!

We found the one stall that we were searching for and stocked up on our curry mixes.

There was great music playing at the usual location where the bandstand was constructed. It's the one thing we didn't do this year, that we usually do ... sit down and enjoy the musical entertainment.

There was an Asian food stall there selling gluten free dumplings and rice paper rolls, among other things, so Adoring Husband and I filled our bellies with these delicious goodies and then went back for seconds before we left for home.

By 10.30am, it was difficult to even move through the swarming crowds. The queue for the loo was fifteen deep. The food stalls were beginning to draw queues. It was impossible to see the products in each stall. People were blocking the walkways. The seating for each of the stage shows were filling up fast.

It was time for us to get the hell out of there.

We drove out of our car park and made our way onto the highway, to discover the biggest line of traffic coming into town. It stretched further than the eye could see. Probably 2-3 kms of cars moving at at snail's pace, either trying to get through town to head north, or attempting to find a park, so that they could attend the festival.

I have never seen so many cars. They were parked at least two deep on both sides of the road for kilometres. Crowds of people were making the long hike towards town.

Our side of the road, southbound out of Childers, was completely clear as we drove past the hundreds of cars going in the opposite direction. By the time we got home, unpacked the car and put away our purchases, it was 11.30am and we were sitting down on our couch wondering what to do for lunch!

I realised that I hadn't made up the dog food, so that was my chore for the next couple of hours, while AH mowed the lawn and whipper snipped the edges.

So, all in all, it was a very productive and fun day for us!

I'm not sure how I will spend my Monday, but I'm off to bed now, before the stroke of midnight!

Nite all.      

No comments: