Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, January 26, 2017

In Straya

Yep it's Straya Day.

The best place to spend Straya Day is in your own lounge room away from the craziness.

I must be getting old and anti-social.

No alcohol. No barbecue.

Plenty of work at the desk. Plenty of tennis. Plenty of cricket. Chicken, vegetables and rice for dinner (not very Strayan).

Half a pawpaw for lunch.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Straya Day.

I rode to the Seat of Knowledge this morning and spent about half an hour with the boys. The tide was high and the water was so clear that I could see the bottom.

The river was a rich teal blue and I walked halfway down the steps to stand knee deep in cool refreshing lapping waters while I watched the schools of pike darting back and forth near the rocky bank.

It was still mild for that time of day, with a nice breeze blowing and the outriggers, all decorated with Aussie flags and green and gold balloons, were putting on an exhibition for the early risers who were setting up their gazebos and deck chairs in the Lions Park.

I didn't even have my camera with me!

From there I rode to the supermarket to pick up some avocados and the girls who were serving were all dressed in red, white and blue. There were long stripy wigs, face paint, sequinned dresses, hats with beer cans, sparkling red, white and blue false eyelashes and all sorts of other accessories and paraphernalia.

It's one of the things I love about the owners of our Foodworks. They get involved in all of the festive occasions. Halloween, Christmas, Australia Day, Easter, St Patrick's Day and any other excuse they can find to dress up and decorate the shop.

I was home by 9am and spent the entire day at my desk.

I needed to! All those hours and I'm still trying to wrap my head around some tricky stuff that hardly makes any sense to me. I was so focused, but the jargon really has me stumped sometimes. There were a couple of moments today, when I felt excited about my progress and could see my finish line, but twice, an obstacle appeared and really slowed me down.

One of them, I gave up on at the end of the day and will return to it tomorrow or Saturday.

Despite the obstacles, I still feel like I've accomplished a lot today and I'm happy with my progress.

I did get a good night's sleep last night, which helps, and I'll give myself another early mark tonight.

The Blonde Bombshell is hosting a Le Reve party tomorrow morning, so I'm looking forward to catching up with some of the girls again.

On that note, I'm outta here!

Nite all.

No comments: