Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, October 19, 2018

It was a WOW

I had a movie date with Lady Lynn and Maid Marian today.

We saw "A Star is Born" starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

Apparently there have been four versions of this movie.

The first was made in 1937 and starred Janet Gaynor. It was her only technicolor film.

The second was made in 1954 and starred Judy Garland and James Mason. Judy Garland was nominated for an Academy Award for that movie, but didn't win.

The third, which will always be my favourite, was made in 1976 and starred Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson (I had the biggest crush on that man!). Barbra Streisand won an Academy Award for the song Evergreen.

The fourth and most recent has just been released and stars Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. Bradley Cooper also directed it, wrote the screenplay and some the songs, as well as acted, sang and played musical instruments. What a talent!!

Even though my favourite will always be the 1976 version, I still absolutely loved this version. Lady Gaga was amazing in her role, as was Bradley Cooper and I will definitely watch it again.

While this version brought tears to my eyes and caused my throat to constrict as a I tried not to cry, the 1976 version leaves me sobbing every time.

Coincidentally, that version was on TV tonight and I watched it for the first time in quite a few years - once again it reduced me to a sobbing wreck!

After the movie today, we drove to Toogoom and enjoyed a leisurely lunch at The Salty Squid. While their main meal GF options were somewhat limited, there was a delicious looking selection of cakes and slices to choose from. I did not partake, but I will next time!

We arrived home with enough time to rest my incredibly sore sciatica, make myself gorgeous for the Bowls Club, stop at the supermarket for some pain killers because OMG the pain was almost making me ill and then appear at the club to see the long lost Rebel Mardi and The Life Saver.

How good was it to see them!! They looked so well and vibrant and happy. We love them and miss them so much and the energy level at our table was noticeably increased having them there. Their visits are never long enough though and the evening seemed to be over before it even began.

They are so loved by so many that they spread themselves very thin attempting to spend time with all the friends they left behind when they moved south.

Now it's time for bed because tomorrow is a work day for me.

Except for the horrible sciatic pain, I've enjoyed my days off. I would have liked to get some stuff from my 'to do' list done, but the pain prevented me from doing much at all. Finding a comfortable sitting position was about the best I could do!

Have a fabulous weekend everybody!

Nite all.

No comments: