Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Just over 30 yrs ago I gave birth to my oldest daughter, Vegan Chickie.  It was a drug free natural birth in a hospital.  I would have liked a home birth, but I was young and easily discouraged.

As I write this, I am sitting in the corner of Vegan Chickie's lounge room as she is in the early stages of labour with her first child.  Hers will be a home water birth and the birthing pool is sitting, pride of place, in the middle of the lounge room.  The Bare-chested chef is cooking vegan hotdogs!

I booked my flight to arrive 10 days past her due date, to give them time to bond with the new baby before I arrived ... I arrived 10 days ago!  I really shouldn't be here for this!

I'm not exactly sure how I'm feeling at this point.  A little bit like I'm intruding on such a special event in their lives,  incredibly excited to be a part of it and reluctant to watch my baby experience the pain of childbirth.

The Bare-chested Chef is so excited.  He is glowing and has a twinkle in his eyes, which reminds me of the day he married my Vegan Chickie.  He is very busy organising.  Setting up the birthing pool to be filled at a later time.  Making up their bed with all the special layers required for having babies in beds (if that's where they end up).  Setting the heater in place ready to create a warm environment to which the baby can enter.

Meanwhile, I sit here, typing away and trying to be inconspicuous.  Wondering if I should offer my assistance, but thinking that he is needing this to help the time pass between contractions and to feel useful. (I think I will go scrub the bathroom very soon!)

I am timing the contractions - that is my way of being useful at this time.  I am also official photographer, so I guess I have another good use!

So now it's the waiting game.  The oh so long minutes between contractions.  The oh so long minutes during contractions.  Me trying to ease the pain by 'willing' some of it over to this side of the room.

Time to take a break from here ... I will be back soon!

Well, here we are 5 hours later and things are progressing nicely.  I feel less anxious.  Everybody is calm and relaxed.  Vegan Chickie is doing beautifully and the Bare-chested chef is coping very well.

More hours have passed, things are a little more intense and I am so amazed at these two beautiful people and how  they are handling this together ... they are a wonderful team and are really supporting each other.

The home atmosphere is so much more relaxed and infinitely better than the sterile hospital with the  demands of impersonal nursing staff.  Doing it all in their own way, at their own pace with low lighting, soft music and the gentle sound of their own loving voices.

A storm passed over with some thunder and lightning and the gentle rain on the roof - soothing for us all.

Pamela, the midwife is now on her way.  I will come back when the baby comes.

Well!  After 18 hours, my beautiful baby girl now has a beautiful baby girl of her own!

I am in awe of them both and how they supported each other through this day.  We are all exhausted, but happy and healthy.

Tomorrow, after some much needed rest, I will post my thoughts (with hindsight) about this marvellous experience.

We are there.  We did it.  Vegan Chickie is a Mum.   The Bare-chested chef is a Dad.  I am a Grandmother.

Now ... we sleep.      

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Roz, Just posted a comment, but you may not find it as it is below one of the earlier entries.
Just to say thank you for sharing the birth of Juniper Rose and to send CONGRATULATIONS to
Vegan Chickie, the Barechested Chef and Bella Roz! Wonderful to know you ALL made it and can
enjoy Juniper Rose. love from ggpa and ggma xx

Basa said...

SO very beautiful and insightful writing!