Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

BFF

I miss my friend.

My first husband dragged me, kicking and screaming,  to a town in the middle of country NSW in 1984.

There were many reasons for me hating the idea of taking my family to this town and I was worried for their safety, but within a very short time, I fell in love with the people and the town and couldn't even consider the thought of leaving.

I eventually spent 21 years there.

In my second year there I met BGWLBH (You remember her! Beautiful Girl With the Long Blonde Hair).

Happy, vibrant, beautiful, tall, slender, blonde, full of energy, the life of the party, with a fabulous circle of partying friends, an amazing career and the most contagious positive attitude.

She was loving,  supportive,  generous and loyal and our friendship developed slowly, but strengthened over time.

We went through a lot together.  Good stuff and bad stuff.  We laughed a lot.  We cried a bit.  We danced.  We sang.   We flirted and teased.  We were the Trivia Queens and the Pictionary Champions.  Our road trips were epic.   We shopped til we dropped.  We laughed some more.

I miss us.

It's been six years since I left the town.  After I moved to Sydney, I still flew back there every three months to spend a week and catch up.  BGWLBH took three months long service leave and spent it in Sydney with us.

Now that I have moved so far away, we are lucky if we get to see each other once a year.  We hardly ever speak to each other.  A phone call every 6 months.  An email once every couple of months.  Nothing regular.

I like to think that our friendship is strong enough that we don't need that regular contact.  We are there for the important times, when we are in need or to celebrate something big.  My kids consider her part of our family.

I haven't seen her for almost a year.

When my little Chicklet was born, BGWLBH was the first person I wanted to share that with and I felt sad that we were so far apart and couldn't hug and squeal and have tears together.

We GET each other.  We know what each other is thinking.  We are brutally honest with each other.  We love each other and we hate each other and everything in between.

I think it's time for a visit.



 

No comments: