Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Two Days With Bob

Saturday morning I awoke to greet my eleventh day without a camera (but who was counting??).  Honestly, it was like being without one of my limbs.  My camera is a part of me.  I photograph everything that happens in my life and in this town.  I use my camera every single day!

Parties, functions, picnics, barbecues, gatherings, boats, the river, the beach, wildlife, flora, Psychotic Dogs, morning teas, dinner parties, anniversaries, birthdays, Christmas, Easters, Australia Days, ANZAC days, festivals, babies and children, gardens, sunrises, sunsets, storm clouds, markets, tourists, locals, wineries, sea shells, marine life, insects and happy hour just to name a few.

People even come to me and ask if I have photos of events that they were involved in two years ago or more.  I've only lived here for two and a half years, so people know that I probably have a photographic record of whatever they are looking for.    

So being without a camera was a real struggle for me and on Saturday, I was praying that my new camera would arrive on Monday morning and put me out my misery.

Well, Saturday 2nd April, turned out to be my lucky day, because we received a phone call from Karl, to let us know that the dream camera (+ accessories) was waiting to be picked up 'at our convenience'.

Stoic 'me' found it difficult to contain my excitement and Adoring Husband even commented about the size of the smile on my face when I knew that my new camera would soon be in my hot little hands!

I didn't go into The Bay with Adoring Husband to collect the camera.  I knew that I would open the box and have everything strewn all over the car and with the movement of the car, be feeling nauseas while trying to read all the paperwork.

So, I patiently sat at home, counting the minutes, calculating how long he should reasonably take and waiting for his phone call to advise that he was on his way home.

Finally, I heard him pull into the driveway.  It was here!!  Wahoo!!  Wahoo!!

He came rushing through the door, his arms laden with boxes and bags and plonked them down in front of me.  "There you are Darling!  One new camera!"

It was like Christmas!  No, it was BETTER than Christmas!  It was heaven!

It took a good hour to open,  assemble and attach everything.  Another couple of hours to charge the batteries, load all the information from the discs onto the computer and read the very basic instructions.

The instruction manual for the camera is 270 pages long **groan** and then the flash has a 56 page manual.  I fall asleep after reading five pages, so it's going to take a very long time for me to read everything.

The camera itself, weighs over 2 kgs.  My camera bag with everything loaded into it, weighs 4.8 kgs!  Add the weight of the tripod and I'm carrying over 7 kgs.  There surely needs to be a health and fitness requirement for photographers!

Anyway, here are a few of my efforts so far, with little knowledge of my genius camera, which, from here on in, will be known as 'BOB' - because he cost a bob or two (which probably only means something to people over 50 years of age haha)

A new leaf unfurling on our Fern Tree

Our beautiful Hibiscus after the rain

Helen, the hen-pecked chook!

Glass boat of shells
Hopefully, you will see a marked improvement as time goes on, but I'm pretty happy with my efforts after two days and I do believe that Bob and I are going to be very happy together!  :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love that chook! Great photographs Roz.
I wonder if you know about 'Red Balloon' - it is
a place where photographers from around the world
show their photos and have them made into cards
and posters for sale. A friend belongs to it,
which is all I know about it really. xx the old
chook

Anonymous said...

sorry I meant my comment to be for rqqzy! I apologise for using the wrong name! chook