Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Grandmotherly Duties

Sushi for dinner tonight :o)

It's been a very enjoyable day for me today.  It started with water aerobics which was most invigorating.

Morning tea afterwards with Aussie H, Beauty and Lady Lynne.  We sat in our usual spot soaking up the Winter sunshine, sharing some laughs and welcoming Aussie H home from her caring duties with big loving hugs.

A bit of house keeping and then Vegan Chickie and the Bare-chested Chef gathered all of their courage and, for the first time, left their beautiful little Chicklet in the very capable hands of .... MEEEEEEEE!

They only went to the local supermarket, which is approximately a four minute drive from home, but I checked my watch when they left and expected that they would return in about ten minutes.

To my delight and surprise, they were gone for an entire twenty five minutes!  Chicklet and I got a nice dose of Vitamin D while we wandered around the garden for ten minutes.

I showed her the plants and flowers in the alfresco area.  We watched the builders across the road where they are starting construction on a new home.  Lastly we watched the puppies chasing each other around the back yard.

She intently took everything in and was still very happy and relaxed when her Mum and Dad came home from the supermarket.

As they began to make their lunch, little Chicklet fell asleep in my arms, so I crept into the lounge room and slid down onto the couch.

Vegan Chickie handed me a little packet of lollies and a bottle of water.  Adoring Husband handed me the baby blanket so that I could protect her from the cool breeze blowing through the front window and I settled down to thirty minutes of pure grandmotherly bliss as she slept soundly with her head resting on my shoulder.





This is what being a grandmother is all about.  Feeling the love and soaking up the happiness.

No comments: