Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Age of 'Planking'!

The first time that I heard the term 'planking' was on facebook a few weeks ago, when somebody complained about a young man being arrested for 'planking' on a police car.  I had to Google it!

I found this description.

The lying down game (also known as planking, or face downs) is an activity, popular in Asia, consisting of lying face down in an unusual or incongruous location. The hands must touch the sides of the body, and having a photograph of the participant taken and posted on the internet is an integral part of the game. Players compete to find the most unusual and original location in which to play. The location should also be as public as possible, and as many people as possible should be involved.

Personally, I can't see the attraction, but in my youth, I probably would have joined in.  I don't think there is any harm in it as long as they aren't putting themselves or others in danger.

Planking on balcony rails, train tracks or light poles is probably, in my opinion, not such a good idea.

Last weekend my 77 yr old male friend, whom I shall call Tweedle Dum (for the obvious reasons), went on a day train trip with a bunch of other locals.  The tour included morning tea and lunch and it was a good, fun group that went along.

Somehow, a conversation sprung up about 'planking'.  During the course of that conversation, one of the ladies dared Tweedle Dum to 'plank' NAKED, on the 'seat of knowledge' at the boat ramp.

Knowing the lady who made the dare, I can just imagine how this conversation transpired.  She is loud and colourful and funny and full of laughter.

I wonder how many strangers were on the same carriage and had to listen to the raucous laughter from the group!

Anyway, Tweedle Dum wholeheartedly accepted the dare, and it was agreed that he would 'plank' NAKED on the following Tuesday morning.

(I agree!  Naked planking does NOT conjure a pretty picture!)

He made the announcement to all and sundry on Monday morning and I suggested that I cancel my water aerobics so that I could attend the 'planking' with my camera to take the photo, which I would then post onto facebook!

He agreed.  I warned that if I cancelled my aerobics and he chickened out, that I would be very upset and he would be in big trouble!

He promised that he would complete the dare!

I didn't believe him.

I went to aerobics.

He DIDN'T complete the dare AND he blamed ME because I wasn't there!

I wasn't even part of the original deal!!

So now he refuses to reschedule the 'planking', saying that we had our chance and we blew it!  The other ladies are desperately trying to change his mind.

Perhaps I can convince him that he will create a new record by being the oldest 'planker' in the history of 'planking'?

If you have any ideas, please let me know.  If we can convince him to finally complete the dare, I will provide tasteful photos to prove that he completed it.

It is the age of 'planking' and we are working on 'planking' for the aged.      

No comments: