Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bridesmaids

Still having a wonderful time.  The nights are freezing.  Today there were gale force conditions and I was almost blown over in the street!

Tried, unsuccessfully, to do some shoe shopping, but at least Adoring Husband is pleased with a nil result on the shoe score.

This afternoon, BGWLBH and I went to the movies to see 'Bridesmaids'.

We almost bought the cinemas out of junk food.  Popcorn, maltesers, ice cream, twisties and water (because that washes all the calories away!) and then made our way into the cinema.

My real time friends and my facebook friends all told me it was the funniest movie EVER!  So I was expecting hilarity from the very beginning.

It took a good thirty minutes for the first giggle to float from my lips and even then it was an uncomfortable one.

All I felt was sadness and discomfort for the main character, Annie.  It slowly picked up and the scene on the plane was so funny that I had cramps in my ribs from laughing so hard.

Then it got sad again.  I spent more time crying in this movie, from sadness, than laughing!

I really enjoyed the movie after the first thirty excruciating minutes, but it was very emotional.  Even though there was some funny parts to it, on the whole, it was quite sad.

I found the vomiting and diarrhoea scene quite unnecessarily graphic and wasn't amused by it at all.

So we cried a lot ... and I didn't take tissues!

I would highly recommend seeing the movie, but don't go there expecting it to be all comedy, make sure you take tissues and be prepared to feel sympathy, empathy and compassion.

Melissa McCarthy was BRILLIANT as Megan.  I LOVED Chris O'Dowd as Officer Nathan Rhodes.  Kristen Wiig was FABULOUS as Annie ... I think we can all relate to her!

I think I will buy 'Bridesmaids' when it comes out on dvd and add it to my collection!

Nite all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the photograph of you best of all, even
though I really like the others too g'ma