Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Next Challenge

Our photography group has been set the next challenge for October.

The theme is 'Splash'.

I haven't even thought about it yet, except to perhaps fill our birdbath with water and wait for a bird to go for a bath.

I have an old photo of a Willy Wagtail splashing about in the birdbath from about three years ago, that I just love!  But the photo has to be taken after the challenge was set, so I can't use that photo.



I'll work on 'splash' over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Adoring Husband and I spent a good hour trying to create an acceptable photo of 'powder' for the Canon photo5 competition today.

The final result was not as I'd hoped, but at least I was able to submit it JUST in time!



I missed the cut-off point for the last brief, which was 'sequins' because I thought it closed at midnight, when in actual fact, it closed at midday AEDST, which is 11am here in Queensland!  Ugh!

For powder, we combined the two different coloured powders that were sent to us and heaped it like a little mountain, then dropped a cherry tomato into the middle of it and captured the powder spraying everywhere.

I tried, unsuccessfully, to set a mousetrap off with powder on it, but after about 8 attempts, I had to give up on that idea because we were running out of time and I couldn't get the composition right.




I admit, that I was panicking with the time constraints!  The mousetrap idea had so much potential .. if only I had started working on it earlier ... like DAYS earlier, instead of leaving it to the last hour before submissions closed!

Now there is only one more brief left.  'Ribbon' using the panning method of photography.  I have two days to get this one right, but half of tomorrow is already out, because Adoring Husband and I have previous commitments.

We might get to spend the afternoon on it.

Still trying to come up with some ideas for my 'Art Deco' exhibition next year.  Instead of getting bogged down in specific Art Deco ideas, I need to open my imagination to the era from 1900 - 1930.

After speaking to my partner in this little enterprise, The Artist, she has given me lots of ideas and we will be spending a day in Maryborough, checking out the exhibit space and looking at some ideas and locations in that area to photograph.

I am nervous, but excited, about all of this, which is new to me.  It's going to be a real challenge and a bit of an adventure, but, my partner's health permitting, it's going to be a hell of a ride!

There is always a new challenge, and the next one for me is 'Ribbon'.  I have two days on that and then there will be four days left of the 'Splash' challenge.  Gotta get that mind of mine working!

Nite all.

No comments: