Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Out of the Loop

I am surprised!  I suppose I shouldn't be.

Adoring Husband and I have been 'out of the loop' for a few months now.  I can safely say, for most of this year.

Due to a number of circumstances, we've missed most of the parties, dinners, functions and gatherings that our large group of friends have organised this year.

There have been a few Friday nights at the Bowls Club where we have caught up with people, from time to time, but nothing regular.

So, this week, after our dramas with Adoring Husband's Mum, and us having to withdraw, once again, from another group party, I have been surprised by the number of phone calls we have received.

People who care about us and who are concerned about how we are coping with our seemingly endless dramas just recently, have called to check in and offer assistance if needed.

I think I expected that being out of sight, meant being out of mind, and that people would forget about us and allow us to disappear into the dark abyss of lost friendships.

So ... thank you to those who phoned, or dropped in to check on us.  Thank you for your offers of help and your voices of concern.  We appreciate you more than you know.

It is comforting to know that so many people care and reassuring to know that we can call upon them in times of need.

On a cheery note, Adoring Husband arrived home safe and sound today and in a much happier frame of mind than when he left.  His Mum is doing well and we can allow ourselves the luxury of resting easy for little while longer.

Cheerier still, was family lunch with my lovely Vegan Chickie, the Bare-chested Chef and Chicklet!

As promised, I had the camera on hand and took a few happy snaps at the lunch table.

Who couldn't love a face like that?

My lovely little hippy baby.
She is so happy and brings joy to my world.

So, even though we have been 'out of the loop' for such a long time, and even though we have experienced deep sadness these past six weeks, we are feeling thankful for good friends and our sweet little granddaughter who melts away all our worries with just one smile.

Nite all.

No comments: