Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day Thirty - Self Portrait

Day Thirty - Self Portrait


Well, today was a little out of the ordinary.  The story goes a bit like this...

In our photography group, one of the ladies has a brother visiting her from Canada.  He has been in Australia since September and will be here until March.

Two weeks ago, another member of their family, a cousin, arrived for a one month holiday here too.

The two Canadians are now on a slow trip north from Toowoomba, (where our photography friend lives) and they reached our little patch of paradise this afternoon.

We invited them to stay here for the night (possibly more than one night) on their way north.

So we've had a very pleasant afternoon, the boys drinking some cold beers and chatting about stuff.

Larry, the cousin, has worked for the Railway in Canada for almost as long as Adoring Husband worked for the Railway in NSW, so they've had lots in common to chat about.

Ken, the brother, is a 'get me away from the ratrace' kind of guy and middle-aged hippie, so we've had some beliefs in common to chat about too.

They shouted us Chinese take-away for dinner tonight, which was a lovely gesture and they are now tucked in bed getting a good nights sleep.

They have a small-ish tinny boat with them and they plan on going up river tomorrow to do some fishing and crabbing.

Surprisingly, I have enjoyed the afternoon and evening chatting with them.  I say 'surprisingly', because I don't usually like my routine being interrupted.  Especially by strangers.

They have been a real pleasure and I think Adoring Husband has enjoyed entertaining them as well.

We even got the laptop out and looked up Google Earth to see where, in Canada, they live and work, which was amazing!

I have an early date tomorrow with the girls for coffee and then I have indoor bowls, so I'd best get some beauty sleep.

Nite all.    

No comments: