Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Watching out for me.

I was pedalling past this house which is situated overlooking the river.

The walking path goes right past it.

After having a knee reconstruction last month, the man who lives in there was doing his exercises, walking up and down his stairs, when he spotted me and gave me a wave.

"Have you got your camera?" he called out (silly question!).  "The owls have been here three days in a row, but I haven't checked today ... come out the back and have a look."

So off we trotted out the back and around the corner of the house.

There they were.  Two small Tawny Frogmouths sitting close together on the branch.  They are very small compared to the two in the tree on my Holden Man's property.




Much to my annoyance, he appeared beside me and gently prodded the owls awake with a broom handle! "I'll get them to open their beaks for you" he said.

I suggested to him that they might avoid his property in future if he did this too often, but he said "Nah, I do this all the time when friends come over.  It doesn't seem to bother them."

**rolls eyes**

When I left his house, I decided to have a second coffee for the day and rode to the bakery (which is basically just across the road).  As I alighted from my trike I noticed a man running across the road from the caravan park waving his arms.

I looked behind me thinking that he was waving at somebody else, but then I heard him say "Just the girl I've been looking for!  I know where there are some owls!  They've been in the same place for four days now!"

"Excellent!" I replied "Lead the way!"

We began walking towards the house that I had just left and I said "Are these owls sitting in a frangipani tree in that house over there?" I pointed.  "Yes!" he said excitedly, until he realised that I had just been there.

I told him to keep me in mind if he sees anything else that I might like to photograph.

I really must make myself up some business cards with my mobile phone number on them to hand out to all of these enthusiastic spotters.  I believe I would be kept very busy every day, wildlife chasing!

There is one sentence that is most annoying and I hear it almost every day ... "You should have been here yesterday!"  (If they had my phone number, then maybe I could be 'there yesterday'!)

It's nice to know that people are watching out for me and thinking of me when they see something worth photographing.

I've had a good and productive day today with the camera - though more for the exhibit and less to share here.

Can't believe how early I am tonight!

Nite all.

No comments: