Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Newsworthy

It appears that I am a little newsworthy (in my own lunch box).

I was asked to send through two of my photos, to somebody who has written an article for the local rag, about the exhibit, and THEN I had to send a photo of myself holding my camera!

I have two photos of myself holding my camera, and they are both of the back of my head!

One was taken by Adoring Husband while I was taking photos of Fairy Wrens at the southern end of town, and I think the other one was taken a couple of years ago by my sister, Squirt.

So I needed a photo, without putting too much effort into it, and without involving anybody else - because I knew it would be a 'process', and I knew that a LOT of shots would have to be taken before I'd be happy.

So I put a bit of make-up on and grabbed a hat.  I sat at my work table in front of my mosaic mirror and began experimenting with different shots.  Different facial expressions.  Holding the camera at different angles.

It was a tricky job to get a photo without looking through the view finder.

To get my head as close to centred in the circle of the mirror as possible.  To get my face focussed and have the 'Canon' name on the camera, clear and in focus.  To avoid the fluorescent light reflecting brightly off the mirror or the lens glass.  To avoid chopping the top of my head off or chopping the camera out completely.

It took 50 odd shots to end up with this one ...


... which is still not even close to perfect, but I'm happy enough to use it ... for now.

When I posted it on facebook, I got lots of nice comments, but my favourite was from the Bare-chested Chef, who said "You look so inspired and focussed.  Like you are doing something that you are incredibly passionate about.  I love it."

That's exactly how I feel, so his comment gave me a real buzz :)

Speaking of the Bare-chested Chef ... Vegan Chickie emailed me this lovely photo of my precious little Chicklet helping her 'Dadu' make pizza today.


She is so grown up!  They both look like they are having such a good time together.  Look at her little black shirt all covered in flour.  And those lovely little curls around her ears!  What a great photo.  A beautiful memory captured forever.

In the mean time, I am still head down and bum up, trying to get all the extra photos organised!

Yes, it's ALMOST time to panic!

Nite all.

No comments: