Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, August 3, 2012

It's me!

It hasn't been published yet, but here is the copy of what will appear in our local rag in a couple of weeks.

My usual habit is to create nicknames for people mentioned in this blog, however, in this case, for promotional purposes, actual names have been left in the article.

******

It’s ‘Time to Shine’ for Local Artisans

Local identity, Jackie Brennan, has been too busy to be out and about lately, unlike our resident photographer, Roz Griffin, who’s been scouring the village, taking shots with her long lens camera. You may have seen her - Roz is our local three-wheeler bikie with a passion for wildlife photography.

It was over coffee one morning at indoor bowls that Jackie invited Roz to join her in her next solo art exhibition. Such public display of talent was a whole new scene for award-winner Roz, but after a little assurance, she humbly agreed.

Jackie’s last solo exhibition ‘Metalica’ was held at Gallery 5 in Hervey Bay.  Two thirds of the artworks were sold on the opening night. This time the theme is ‘Art Deco Revival’ … quite a challenge for Roz who excels in capturing the beauty of Australian flora and fauna. Therefore, several generic works will also be on display in gallery two. All works will be for sale.

Jackie is a retired professor of Interior Design and Architecture with a post-graduate degree in Fine Arts. She is also an award winning artist, author and poet who still enjoys teaching - mostly weekend workshops, and of course our Monday craft mornings.

These two talented ladies are having a joint solo art and photographic exhibition at Gatakers Artspace in Maryborough for the duration of September.  This gallery is the latest Fraser Coast cultural installation. With a two year waiting list for exhibitors, it is well worth a visit. 

The grand opening is on Friday 7th September, and best of all – you’re all invited to attend. Entry is free! Doors will open at 6.30pm for 7pm. It’s anticipated that the night will conclude around 9pm. 

So why not get a few friends together for a special night out to show your support for a couple of our local ladies.

Gatakers Art Space is located in the old warehouse building in the laneway between Kent and Wharf Streets, Maryborough – opposite the Federal Hotel at 311 Kent Street.

******

The two photos that I provided for this article are ...

Remember when?
Six Eyes
Already, strangers are stopping in the streets, asking me if I am the lady having the exhibit in Maryborough.

It's a very strange feeling, having to promote myself in a positive way, without adding a joke of self criticism.  I am renowned for that.

It's all beginning to happen now!

I can do this!

Nite all.

2 comments:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

Roz I am so excited for you. Congratulations! I know that the exhibition will be the beginning of great things for you and your photography.

Age said...

Thanks Judi. It means a lot that you've taken the time to offer me your good wishes and support like this. I appreciate it very much.

I hope you're still having fun with all that lovely citrus fruit that you're growing up that way :D

xx