Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, July 30, 2012

Granny Nikonian

So excited for The Nikonian, who has become a first time Grandmother today!

She has a new little granddaughter to love.  I can't wait to see the first beautiful photos that she takes.

The Nikonian is one of the best photographers that I have the pleasure of knowing, and when she's feeling the love, her shots have the WOW factor.

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge her exciting news today and send my love and good wishes to her and to her family.  Hugs and kisses to you oxox.

I've been busy today with some more shots for the exhibit.  Setting the shot up, shooting it, editing it.  It's quite tiring really.  Too much brain work involved.

Those of you who know me, know that I am basically lazy - that is also true when it comes to my photography.

Wildlife and birds and landscapes are much easier.  You put yourself in the right place at the right time and you capture the moment.  That's when you best see the magic of photography.

So much more thought and time has to go into still life and portraits.  Getting the lighting right and the composition has to be just right, to tell a story.

Creating a 'moment' with people in portraits takes real skill.

It's all especially more exhausting when you are unsure of yourself.

If I had a studio with all the lighting and backgrounds and props, it might be easier.  I say 'might' because I'm really only guessing or assuming that to be the case.

I think I am making the best out of my limited resources and I am pretty happy with my shots so far.

Oh if money were no object!!  Must remind Adoring Husband to buy a ticket in Powerball this week!

I'm doing ok.  Sometimes I feel frustrated because I can sit here at my desk for a few hours, and at the end of it, feel like I have achieved nothing.  Other times I can sit here for thirty minutes and at the end of it, feel like I have conquered Mount Everest!

What a process.  A HUGE learning curve for me.  Immensely satisfying and terribly frustrating all at the same time.

I only have one photo to share today.  I caught this fellow singing this morning as I rode past the lagoon.



I think I might go watch some of the Olympic Games for a while and give myself a break from the computer screen (from one screen to another - sad huh?).

Nite all.  


No comments: