Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Repeat: Funny how life happens

On the 20th July this year, some of you may remember that I posted about a man I met.  To trigger your memory ...

http://agechallengedrqqzy.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/funny-how-life-happens.html

He phoned me last night.  He told me, in slightly blurred speech, that he'd had a stroke on 8th September and when hospitalised, they'd found a brain tumour.  He seemed a little vague and our conversations ended abruptly, which was unusual for him, so as I hung up, I promised to visit him this morning.

I was shocked to see the state he was in.  One side of his face was drooping, his walk was a slow shuffle, he had no strength in either of his hands and his speech was much worse today than it had been on the phone last night.  He had to drink his coffee with a straw.

He had no co-ordination and was unable to judge where the tissue was to grab it out of the box.  He tried to pick up a plastic lid but his fingers were aiming about 2 inches to the side.  He was dribbling.  His eyes would glaze over every so often as if he wasn't with us.

He was a mess.

His head had been shaved and he had a large semi circle scar across the front of his head with 34 staples.  The tumour was 35 mm across and only 65% of it could be removed.  Between the 8th Sept when he had the scan and the 18th Sept when he had the surgery, the tumour had grown.  It was wedge shaped and it is, apparently, growing in the part of the brain that causes aggression.

His prognosis is 6 - 18 months.  His wife's prognosis was the same ... 4 yrs ago.  His attitude leads his wife to believe that he won't last until his next Drs appointment in a month.  She says his condition is deteriorating rapidly, along with his attitude.

Understandably, she is concerned.  For him and for herself.

She is barely able to care for herself, yet she was valiantly attempting to care for him as well.  He was wandering off and she had to watch him every minute.

They have no family and few friends in town.

When they left the hospital, they were given no instructions and no help or advice.

So, I did some research today and found some phone numbers for various departments who could provide financial help, help with caring, help with cleaning, help with food etc.

Not one of those departments were available today to help.  Even the emergency number could not help.  The best advice that lady could give me was to call an ambulance to take him back into hospital for care until other help could be provided.

Luckily, another male friend had arrived as I was leaving this morning and he was calling the ambulance as I left, to ask for advice.

I went back to see his wife this afternoon, taking with me some of my famous chicken soup, and she was alone at home.  The ambulance had taken him into The Bay, but she hadn't heard yet, how long he would be in hospital.

She looked relieved and relaxed - still worried, but much less stressed.

The photo I took of him within 2 minutes of meeting him - giving me cheek out the window.
It's the only photo I have of him, but then I've only known him since July.  He had asked me to get a photo of he and his wife together and I agreed to do it after September because it was going to be busy month for me.

Not so funny how life happens.

No comments: