Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Eve - Day 58 in a Year of my Life

I've decided to recap my year, some time between Christmas and New Year, instead of tonight.  Christmas Eve just doesn't seem like the right time.

Vegan Chickie and I have a tradition.  Every Christmas Eve, no matter where we are in the world, we watch the movie 'Love Actually' together.

We set a time and then text each other when we are ready to press 'play'.

I'm not sure how long ago it started - perhaps 5 or 6 yrs ago?  She may correct me if I'm way off.

So tonight we agreed on 7.30pm as our start time.

It's been an interesting day.

It started at the usual place after I got coffee.  I had to buy two small coffees because they had run out of large take-away cups!  On Christmas Eve!!

After about an hour with my boys at the Seat of Knowledge, I pedalled down to say 'good morning' to my Tawny Frogmouth family.


While I was taking some photos, I attracted a crowd of about 8 people.  I don't like to do that, because I worry that others aren't so respectful of nature and I fear for the safety of my birds.

I took the uv filter and lens protector off my lens and discovered how much clearer my photos are without them!

I did some last minute grocery shopping and then after much difficulty, Adoring Husband got one of the printers to work and I printed out a couple of photos of Fergie to frame for his lovely wife for Christmas.

I hopped on the trike again and pedalled towards her house, but got pulled over by a lady who had bought two of my photos after my exhibition.

She pleaded for me to stop for a moment and go to look at the photos, now framed, quite beautifully, by her husband.

They did look quite fabulous!  I'm glad that I stopped.  Her two grown children will be the recipients of my photos this Christmas :D

Back on my trike and off to see Mrs Fergie.

She has 90% deafness in one ear and 75% in the other, so it is quite an ordeal getting her attention!  She always had Fergie to hear for her before.

She finally caught sight of me out of the corner of her eye and she welcomed me into her home.  She opened her present and cried.  I cried.  I knew it would be emotional, but hoped that I could stay strong.  It wasn't meant to be.  Ugh.

I stayed with her for about an hour chatting about Fergie and his final days and what she has planned for her future.

Then I left, promising to visit regularly.

Adoring Husband and I drove to the Bowls Club thinking that there would be raffles tonight, which there would have been if more than 7 of us had turned up!!  I won $300 on the pokies instead :D

We left at about 6.30pm and drove all over town in search of spectacular christmas lights.

We were very disappointed to discover that, like us, very few people have made an effort this Christmas.  Perhaps 4 homes lit up in full Christmas glory and another 6 made a small effort.

I didn't have my camera with me but we plan on going out next week with our cameras and tripods to get some photos.

We arrived home at 7.25pm, just in time to receive the text from Vegan Chickie to press 'play' for our movie.

We love this traditional viewing and text each throughout the movie when it gets to our favourite parts.

Adoring Husband made a nice easy, but healthy, dinner for us and then watched the movie with me too.

It's been a pretty good day and today I'm grateful to have found the strength to visit Mrs Fergie for the first time since Fergie passed away.  I have put this visit off for so long because I was dreading it.  It was as difficult as I'd imagined but I'm so pleased that I did it before Christmas.

She loved the photos.

Nite all.


No comments: