Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 89 in a Year of my Life

So there I was, yesterday morning, pedalling along the river bank, when a local lady calls to me from her front balcony and asks me to stop.

She walks out to the path where I was riding and tells me about her son who, years ago, was very interested in photography, and that she had a stack of filters that she was going to get rid of, unless I was interested in taking them.

So I asked her if I could see them.

I chatted with her husband and her sister on the balcony while she went inside to search for these filters. About ten minutes later, she emerged with two boxes, two books and various assorted attachments.

These are creative filters from around 1980 and are Cokin, which is a top brand. Graduated filters of all different colours, star filters, fog filters and others.


To buy all of these filters would cost a veritable fortune, so I agreed to take them, but offered to pay. She declined my offer and instead said "Do you know how you can pay me?"


She then said "I would like your permission to paint some of your photos"!!

Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather! I told her that she could paint every one of my photos if she wanted to!

What a huge compliment! She then proceeded to tell her sister about my photography and was rubbing her arms when she said to me "Honestly, I get goose bumps whenever I tell people about your work".

How chuffed was I?

So, not only did I acquire a very expensive, very large set of filters for my camera, but I also received the biggest compliment and boost to my ego.

A double whammy of happy!

Sometimes I just can't believe my luck.

I have conceded defeat and finally selected a photo for the 'Sunset' challenge. The rains have hit us big time after the cyclone up north turned into a rain depression, so I doubt if there will be any interesting sunrises or sunsets in the coming week.

Here is my submission ...


Adoring Husband and I went to the movies today to see 'Parental Guidance'. I really enjoyed it. I love Bette Midler and I love Billy Crystal and I love Marisa Tomei. It was a fun and moving movie that I could relate to.

It's been a good day. A wet day, but a good one.

Today I am grateful for the lovely heavy drenching rain that we've needed for some time, that fell today. I hope that it doesn't continue for too long or cause any damage along the way. The grass already looks greener, the vegetables in the garden are reaching for the sky and the air is cleaner.

Nite all.

No comments: