Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 200 in a Year of my Life

Well, I've had my life flash before my eyes today.

One particular bag of goodies that has been shoved away in a cupboard for the last 5 yrs, and before that, it was packed in a box for even longer.

It was like opening a treasure chest and finding some lovely, and not so lovely, treasures to ponder.

Starting with some old school reports.

Second year of high school and the Principal commented "A poor student.  Rozlyn will achieve little until her behaviour and her attitude improve.  At present her behaviour is hardly tolerable".

Other comments from teachers include "Inattentive and talkative" and "If Rozlyn put as much effort into her work as she does into 'showing off' and distracting others, she could do well.  She frequently refuses to participate".

Wow, I don't remember being that bad!

I found a 'farewell' card signed by all of my classmates when I left that school.

A photo of 15 yr old me riding a horse!

I found an envelope full of letters from my Korean and Japanese penpals with whom I regularly corresponded when I was 16 and 17 yrs of age.

A pile of congratulatory telegrams from my first wedding.

Photos of little Jamie's baptism and later, his funeral.

Numerous letters that I had written but never sent (those that know me will be nodding their heads  and rolling their eyes) to my father, my x-husband, friends.

Notes on storylines for books that I wanted to write.  Chapters written for some of those stories!

An old Tax Assessement Notice from 1992 showing that my taxable income was $18501.

A couple of my kids' school reports.

Emails from my mother, as well as jokes that she faxed to me at work.

Long emails from Vegan Chickie when she was living in Melbourne all those years ago.

A disc with photos that Bubbles and I had taken of each other so that we could make an "MSN" profile back in 2003 - the year my mother updated her computer and gave me her old one.  That computer changed our lives!

A cartoon drawing in pencil, that Number One Son drew about 20 yrs ago.

Numerous photos that made me feel both happy and sad.

What an interesting ride it was, reliving all those memories.

So I cleared my mind with a ride down to the river for a sunset shot.


Today, I am grateful for little bags of treasures that remind me where I came from and how much I've learned, how much I've grown and how happy I am now.  Exhausting!  But fun :)

Nite all.



1 comment:

Trigga said...

I would be interested to see the cartoon that I drew. lol