Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Day 201 in a Year of my Life


I woke up at 6am, jumped out of bed and looked out the window.

A sunrise to die for!!  The sky was awash with ripples of pink, yellow, orange, purple and red.  Beautiful clouds spreading their fingers right across the sky, the edges of them glistening in the sunlight.

I gasped, and in a flurry, threw off my pyjamas and threw on my dirty clothes from yesterday that were lying on the floor next to the bed.  No time to lose!!

I rushed out to my work area and shoved my camera and lenses into my camera bag, grabbed my hat of the rack, my glasses off the table, slid my thongs on my feet and opened the door into the garage.

There was Adoring Husband getting himself organised for his first day back at golf since the tornado hit in January.

I rushed past him, dumped my camera bag into the basket, jumped on the trike and began to pedal, calling out "See ya!"

"Where are you going?" he asked (he knows that the only reason I leave the house at stupid o'clock is for sunrise shots) so I give him a short and obvious answer, and he says "But I'm leaving soon!"

Now .. anybody with photography experience (which Adoring Husband has), KNOWS that a sunrise or sunset lasts just a few minutes.  TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!  There is no time to stop and have a conversation.

So, I get to the bottom of the driveway and do a quick u-turn calling out "Well come here and kiss me goodbye!"  He stops halfway down the driveway and says "Don't worry about it!"

UGH!  More precious seconds wasted!

I pedal another 100 metres, the colour is fading fast and I know that by the time I reach the beach, it will be completely gone from the sky.

UGH!  (again)

So I do a quick detour into the lane that takes me to the lagoon.

By now, I could feel a very light sprinkle of rain.  I take a couple of quick shots of the lagoon in it's morning stillness.

Then I see a little duck on the water - and the rain has stopped.  I quickly change lenses and take half a dozen shots of the little duck and his reflection in the still water.

I feel the rain begin to softly fall - not enough for me to be worried about the camera, but I look up at the sky and see half a rainbow forming.

I change my lens, yet again, and begin shooting.  As I shoot, the rainbow slowly grows into a giant arch stretching right across the width of the lagoon.

The sun's rays are gently touching the trees and as the rain falls, the colours of the rainbow gradually brighten ... and then ... a very faint second rainbow appears above it.

WOW


In the space of about 7 minutes, the light has changed so much!


All of this happened in just 20 minutes and I pedalled back home in time to say goodbye to Adoring Husband, who was still trying to get himself organised for golf!

Originally, I thought that this was my consolation prize for missing the lovely sunrise - and for this I'm grateful - I think I would have been more disappointed if I had missed this, so really, it's a winner for me!

Nite all.

1 comment:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

We love our DH's/AH's to death but yes, it is all about the timing ha ha ha ha! I love your rainbow stretched right across the horizon. It is beautifully composed.
Take care
Judi xx